Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Hunting during logging or just after?

Started by sugarray, March 04, 2012, 01:05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sugarray

I have a very good friend, who has been an educational, then life mentor since I entered college in 1995.  He has some land about 40 minutes north of me.  We briefly talked about meeting there to try to hunt this spring.  He said he was down there checking on the logging that was going on, and saw a group of 5 gobblers.  Now, I have no idea and he doesn't either how many birds this land holds. 

My question is:

Do you think they will stay?  Would you hunt here or try to find another place?   

He means more to me than all but a very few.  If this is the only time we can hunt, I would hate to say no, even if the place doesn't have a bird on it.  I have been trying to get him to go for the past 3 years now.  He is a college professor and the semester is winding down when the season is in and thus he is very busy.

drenalinld

Turkeys tend to ignore logging equipment for the most part. I have killed them less than 200 yards from ongoing logging operations. The aggravating part is all of the noise making it difficult to hear." Considerations might be clearcutting or thinning. How much land can you hunt in relation to logging operations. I have never seen logging operations drive them out of the country. I know too many loggers who have put me on birds over the years that they have seen while operating logging equipment.

All of that said, I would hunt with a good friend at any opportunity.

guesswho

Don't hesitate.  Go!  What's the worst that could happen?  You spend some quality time with a good friend and not see or hear any turkeys?   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

twinters

GO brother i work for a company that does this very thing,the owner of the company buys land and cuts timber on it all the time. the first year of a timber cut can be very good,you get good travel lanes for you and the turkeys both,as for spending time afield with a good friend,you can never get enough of that regardless of whether you kill a turkey or not

cahaba

I have had turkeys gobble at the airhorns on wood haulers trucks. It don't bother them at all. same goes for tractors,chainsaws and such.

Curtdawg88

I have set up on birds rooster above the logging equipment. Go for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Life is tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid."

Mossygoose

OLE RASPY

The only problem i have seen is the loggers will take out a lot of their roost trees this has happenend to me before.

Grunt-N-Gobble

I say go for it too.

I shot a bird a few years ago less than 200yds away from where guys were actively working on a gas well making a TON of noise.  There were 3 gobblers in that group and they were gobbling up a storm at just about every call I made to them.  All that noise from the well didn't phase them a bit.

Rockhound

i was worried about the same thing last year until i struck a bird that was shock gobbling at the falling trees called him up and killed him in 15 minutes

jakebird

I love hunting a good tract a few years after it was cut. Especially if they seed the old saw landings and skidder trails with grasses. Instantly enhances the attractability of the land to turkeys. The tops and trimmings provide valuable nesting cover, the grassy areas attract insects, the number one source of protein for young poults, the trails and clearings become hot strut zones and travel corridors. Ive never hunted close to a running operation, but i'd take these guys words on the subject, as ive seen plenty enough fresh sign around active timber operations to know the birds dont leave the area. Good chance if these are full time proffessional loggers, they wont be working on the wkds anyhow. Get a quiet day and move in there to hunt. Best of luck!
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?

BrownTrout

Quote from: jakebird on March 05, 2012, 06:36:54 AM
I love hunting a good tract a few years after it was cut. Especially if they seed the old saw landings and skidder trails with grasses. Instantly enhances the attractability of the land to turkeys. The tops and trimmings provide valuable nesting cover, the grassy areas attract insects, the number one source of protein for young poults, the trails and clearings become hot strut zones and travel corridors. Ive never hunted close to a running operation, but i'd take these guys words on the subject, as ive seen plenty enough fresh sign around active timber operations to know the birds dont leave the area. Good chance if these are full time proffessional loggers, they wont be working on the wkds anyhow. Get a quiet day and move in there to hunt. Best of luck!

I have to agree with all of this.  Theres logging going on now a couple miles from my house and the last time I was over that way checking traps before the season end, I saw at least 50 turkeys on more than one occasion.  Theres constant logging where I live.  They will be on one hillside for awhile, then another, then on top etc.  Those places always seem to hold all kinds of game.   Two years ago they logged down the Mt. below me and theres all kinds of game in there.  Last year they logged below us again on the other side of the Mt., again loaded with game. 

Plus, we all have a certain amount of steps on this lovely planet with our families and friends.  I wouldn't miss the chance to hunt with a good friend ever, but thats just me.  My father-in-law, who's my best friend and once one hell of animal in the woods is slowy losing a few steps on me now.  We might not get as deep in the woods as we once did, but we're still gettin er done.  Although, he's 63 now and can out walk and hunt a few of my firends in their thirties.  Good luck!  And enjoy the comraderie.  I hope I spelled that right.............lol.......
Who is John Galt?

One of the most ridiculous defenses of foreign aid is that it is a very small part of our national income. If the average American set fire to a five-dollar bill, it would be an even smaller percentage of his annual income. But everyone would consider him foolish for doing it. -- Thomas Sowell in 'Barbarians Inside the Gates'

archery1

Quote from: guesswho on March 04, 2012, 02:56:23 PM
Don't hesitate.  Go!  What's the worst that could happen?  You spend some quality time with a good friend and not see or hear any turkeys?   
Take a kid hunting

Spurbuster

I've been hunting fresh clear cut birds for a long time. Typically they like fresh cut areas and walking on soft dirt. They will definitely hang around; however hunting a clear cut bird is really a one shot deal. They will learn quickly. I have found that it is extremely hard to hunt these birds in the morning time. Try watching them fly up several times and see if you can cut them off on the way to the roost in the afternoons. I have had tons of success with this.
Bailey Cates

swamp_bird89

I was sitting on a skidder on sunday listening to birds gobble. Go for it!