turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Federal Heavyweight 7's Pattern Pitiful

Started by Todd1700, March 03, 2012, 11:23:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd1700

Shot a 3 1/2 inch Federal Heavyweight number 7 through my 835 Mossberg and a .705 non-ported Undertaker choke. Results where pretty dismal. 102 pellets inside 10 inches at 40 yards and the pattern was blotchy and had holes in it. If this thing did indeed have number 7 shot in it (I checked the lot number and it isn't one identified as one of those that might have been mislabeled) then this is by far the worst pattern I have ever seen with 7's. Heck, I can get better numbers than this with lead 6's at 40 yards. I used to get mid 90's at 40 with 3 1/2 inch lead 5's. I shot at a sheet of poster paper so I'll concede that some of my pattern missed it but I only counted 207 holes in the whole sheet and the holes look bigger than 7's to me. Picture below but I won't be wasting time fooling with these any more.

FttFttVroom!

Been some QC issues at Federal lately.....

Todd1700

Was just experimenting anyway. Got the Hevi 13 7's ready to go through the Hevi-shot choke.

Passintime

Those hevi 13's will do it for you out of that 835

sugarray

You are using a really open choke for 7s too.  I shoot a .710 with TSS, which is the tightest patterning stuff out there.  If you bumped it down to the .675 range you'd improve a lot.

bird

I think you have the wrong choke and constriction with that shell. You have a choke issue more then a load issue IMO.

Todd1700

QuoteIf you bumped it down to the .675 range you'd improve a lot.

I have always heard that the flight control wads like an open choke with no ports and no internal wad strippers. Was that wrong?

sugarray

I believe yes, to a point.  I think with the big bore of the 835, which is what I have, we need a more open choke, but I still think for that load of #7 shot a .670, .675 or so, my max would be a .690.

If I was going to start over I'd try my PG .670, as I have it.  If I was going to buy one, I'd buy a SumToy .675 to try.

Also, depends on how much $$ you are able and willing to spend on a choke and the whole process to get the patterns you want.  I believe with enough trial and time you will get what you want.

Pure Gold has the Tempest line of chokes that are nonported for the FCW.  Others here have used nonported Tight Wad and Undertaker chokes with good patterns as well.  These are hard hitting loads, finding the right choke is very difficult with them, but can be done.

savduck

I know we are talking about 12 ga here, but I did quite a bit of shooting with Federal 20 ga 7s today and my averages with three different chokes is WAY OFF what people been putting on here. I think Federal has changed something.
Georgia Boy

Todd1700

QuoteI think Federal has changed something.

I think what they need to change on the shell I shot yesterday is the number they stenciled on the side of it. I'm having a hard time believing it was full of 7's. I realize there are going to be less pellets per ounce with the heavyweight stuff because it's heavier than Hevi-Shot or lead but still.

savduck

Quote from: Todd1700 on March 04, 2012, 05:20:33 PM
QuoteI think Federal has changed something.

I think what they need to change on the shell I shot yesterday is the number they stenciled on the side of it. I'm having a hard time believing it was full of 7's. I realize there are going to be less pellets per ounce with the heavyweight stuff because it's heavier than Hevi-Shot or lead but still.

There is 330 in the 20 ga shell I cut open.
Georgia Boy

surehuntsalot

that .705 choke is to open
I shoot the #7's when I hunt with my 835 through my .676 stardot
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

bawana

Here's my pics at 30 and 40 with the feds, I'm using a .660 Carlson's non ported tube and shooting an 870 SM with a 26 inch barrel

DUPREE

I get 200-220 10" hits at 40 in m 870sm. Its a nice pretty and even pattern.

SKFOOTER

Quote from: DUPREE on March 05, 2012, 07:42:29 PM
I get 200-220 10" hits at 40 in m 870sm. Its a nice pretty and even pattern.
With what choke and what load???