turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Shooting sticks

Started by cannonball, March 02, 2012, 09:57:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cannonball

Does anyone use shooting sticks or something similar? I bought some Johnny Stewart sticks for my varmint gun. I like them so well I'm thinking about taking them turkey hunting this spring. Any disadvantages to this? These are extremely light weight and only cost $10.00. Let me know what you think...

Houndstooth Game Calls

I always felt like they would get in the way I use them for deer but never turkey it would be useful to me though say set up in a field maybe to me. Jmo

savduck

Eddie, I think they would be great helping you sight in or maybe hold steady on a long shot on a field bird, but I think most times they may get in the way. I find most gobblers dont come in like they do on TV, they are slipping and moving, and you have to adjust your gun to get on them.
Georgia Boy

VanHelden Game Calls

I agree its just another thing to lug along and seldom does a bird show up where I plan.  I usually set up in cluster trees if possible giving me a natural rest if the bird cooperates, but they never do.  In fact my buddies and I 99% of the time hunt/call in pairs or triples just to get out and hunt.  Lets say on more then 1 occasion we have used each other as blinds/gun rests.(don't worry were safe about it :OGani:)

Last year the birds swung around us and pinned us along the filed edge facing into the woods.  My dad had to shoot left ONE  handed-left eye-and fore stock rested on my shoulder while right hand was gripping the tree to keep his balance.  Gottem!!

Basser69

I use a v-pod. It clips back onto the gun

cannonball

Thank's for the opinions guys. I'm going to take these opening day and see how they do.