OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Which pattern?

Started by Trevor2, March 02, 2012, 01:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor2

Alright guys just got dads gun polished and shot it with two different chokes. Would have tried more shell combos too but this is all we had left at the time. I know the poi is off but as far as the pattern which one would yall go with. Gonna do more testing in the future but just trying to rule one out now. 65 degrees with mild wind. 40 yards.
ssx choke .643 Win HV #5

Remington Turkey Super Full Choke Win HV #5
Strutstopper

Gobble!

Pretty hard to tell. Looks like that's not even the top half of the pattern.

deadbuck

I will be honest with you, neither of those is good. If you put sights or a scope on the gun you might be able to get it to an acceptable level.

Trevor2

Quote from: deadbuck on March 02, 2012, 02:31:26 PM
I will be honest with you, neither of those is good. If you put sights or a scope on the gun you might be able to get it to an acceptable level.
Ya he is debating on what to get.
Strutstopper

timberjack86

Dang sure is shooting low. Try a red dot scope.

Philippe

The first one, and get that POI fixed and give us some more pix. Looks like it is shooting nicely for 5's!

Tom Foolery

If it has a rib I would look into a pair of Williams Slugger sights and a box of Winchester #6's with that SSX.

It does look like a nice pattern for #5's.

msgobblergetter

Shoot the paper first then circle the pattern with marker and count pellets holes.

Trevor2

Quote from: Tom Foolery on March 02, 2012, 08:31:18 PM
If it has a rib I would look into a pair of Williams Slugger sights and a box of Winchester #6's with that SSX.

It does look like a nice pattern for #5's.
Pm me more on those sights if you dont care. We shot #6 through it first and wasnt near as tight. I figured it would blow the pattern on 5s but others on here convinced me to try it. If I can just get the poi fixed hell be set, and I can quit stressing over it lol
Strutstopper

burley

First 1. Need poi help. Good luck.

cannonball

Quote from: Gobble! on March 02, 2012, 02:24:41 PM
Pretty hard to tell. Looks like that's not even the top half of the pattern.

I agree. You need to get the POI fixed and start over. The best part of the pattern could be going under the paper.

wmahunter

I agree that the ssx looks like it is the better choice but real hard to tell when we are only seeing a piece of the pattern.

K9Doc

Buy some Hevi 7s and use the factory Remington turkey choke.  It will be far better than any of the lead loads.  Your making a memory with your dad.  Make sure its a kill shot! :z-guntootsmiley:
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

surehuntsalot

put some sights on it and get the poi fixed, then try those 5's through the .643 SSX again
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Bamarich

That's awful tight of a constriction for an 870.  I've had far better luck with chokes with a .675 to .660 in my 870.  Can't believe you can even shoot 5's through it.