OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Foot and back pain?

Started by wisconsinteacher, March 01, 2012, 11:59:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wisconsinteacher

Hey guys, I have been having some foot and back pain for the last 9 months.  I got some shoe insoles and they helped back issues for the first 3 months, then the knee pain started.  After a lot of reading, I took out the insoles and the knee issue when away but now the back pain is back.  It wakes me up in the middle of the night and it hurts to sit, stand, or walk.  I want this fixed before summer so I can enjoy life again.  If you have ever had this what did you do to fix it?  I am thinking that the foot doctor may help but $500 for orthotics is going to be hard to take.

pullit

I can't go any distance at all without my orthotics.
They were not cheap as you are finding out but it sure beats the pain I was having and not going at all.

Neill_Prater

I've had to wear custom orthotics for the past 20 years or so due to a deformity in my ankle, probably caused from stepping in a hole when I was a kid. I'm fortunate in that my insurance will pay 80%, but I'd have to bite the bullet even if they didn't, because without them I'd be crippled in just a few days.

That said, are you sure the back pain is completely related to the need for orthotics? I'm not saying it isn't, but there are tons of other factors for back problems. Years ago, I loved waterbeds, but was ending up at the chiropractor's office on a monthly or so basis. He asked what I was sleeping on, and I told him. He didn't tell me to get rid of the waterbed, but said it might be a factor. Sold the bed, went to a conventional mattress, and my back problems diminished by a good 75%.

remmy1187

I dont know if it is the same problems I had years ago, but I had a herniated disc and it put pressure on my sciatic nerve which gave me pain/numbness down my leg and foot.  I could not do much of anything and the only comfortable position to be in was lying on my back with my legs on the couch.  Hopefully not the same problems you have.  Best of luck getting it taken care of. 

wisconsinteacher

I really think it is the feet.  My feet hurt all the time and now that I took the cheep orthotics out, the pain is back but the knee issue is gone.

Ol'Mossy

Quote from: wisconsinteacher on March 01, 2012, 11:59:30 AM
Hey guys, I have been having some foot and back pain for the last 9 months.  I got some shoe insoles and they helped back issues for the first 3 months, then the knee pain started.  After a lot of reading, I took out the insoles and the knee issue when away but now the back pain is back.  It wakes me up in the middle of the night and it hurts to sit, stand, or walk.  I want this fixed before summer so I can enjoy life again.  If you have ever had this what did you do to fix it?  I am thinking that the foot doctor may help but $500 for orthotics is going to be hard to take.

Sounds like me the past 15 years

Did you ever try a chiropractor? I got to one on occassion and it helps me.

TauntoHawk

I have a pile of back issues for being 25yrs old.. regular trips to the Chiropractor is the only way I can live an active lifestyle without too much pain

Thank God I have great health insurance!!
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Shellwaster

On another forum I'm a member of this same issue came up. One of the guys jobs requires him to be on his feet all day on a concrete floor.  He was at about his breaking point with feet, knee and back pain. Someone suggested to him to try the sketcher shape up shoes. As a last resort he ordered a pair and tried them for a couple weeks. He did an extensive review of them and to his satisfaction his feet, knee and back pain have about vanished. He's not sure if it's the placebo effect or not but he refuses to wear any other shoe. He was also able to order them with steel toes.

Just a thought you guys may want to try.

Ol'Mossy

I work all day on a cement floor and I do wear sketcher sneakers and they do help alot.  I was pretty close to going to a foot doctor until I found them, I actually had an appointment but canceled at the last minute.

ground control

I cannot say enough about the Skechers shape-ups. I have had a fair amount of back trouble. Have spent hundreds upon hundreds of dollars on orthotics and rediculously expensive shoes. Since I started wearing the Skechers my back pain has been substantially reduced. It's getting worse, but I need surgery and am too stubborn. Give em a shot. They take a little getting used to but I think you'll be pleased. I'm on my feet 12hrs a day and they make it possible.
"Ground Control to Major Tom: Your circuit's dead, there's something wrong. Can you hear me Major Tom?"

wisconsinteacher

I put the old insoles intoday and the back pain compared to yesterday is nothing.  I think it is my feet.

NWBama

X2 on seeing a Chiropractor. Look for one that does deep tissue work/ART. I have been going to a Chiro since 1996.

pullit

Quote from: wisconsinteacher on March 02, 2012, 08:48:05 PM
I put the old insoles intoday and the back pain compared to yesterday is nothing.  I think it is my feet.

I got to the point I could not walk 50 yards with limping. I thought it was my hip (because that is where the pain was). I went to the doctor for shots, that did no go. They sent me to phy therapy for about 2 months, that did no good. Finally my feet got to hurting so I went to a foot doctor. She said it was my arches and put some temporary inserts in my shoes. My pain dropped by 90%. I went back and she made custom insoles for about $350 (that has been about 10 yrs ago). My pain was was gone almost
the same day. Best money I ever spent.