OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What Brand?

Started by FttFttVroom!, February 28, 2012, 10:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What brand lead shell do you turkey hunt with?

Winchester
47 (79.7%)
Federal
8 (13.6%)
Remington
3 (5.1%)
Kent
0 (0%)
Fiocchi
0 (0%)
Other (please list)
1 (1.7%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Voting closed: March 29, 2012, 11:40:52 PM

FttFttVroom!

So what brand do you normally hunt with?  I tend to use Winchester, but have used Remington and Federal as well with decent results. 

Tom Foolery

Winchesters for me.  I have a few boxes of the old pre FC Federals that work well though.

BowBendr

When shooting Pb, it's always Winchesters.  :icon_thumright:

Mild Bill

I use the winchester high Velocity 3" in 5 shot.

If I could find some of the old pre flight control wad federals in the gold and dark navy box some place I would be all over them.
You can tell a lot about a person by how they treat those who can do nothing for them or to them.

the Ward

winchester supreme 3 -2-6 for me. hv supreme 3inch  5 or 6s work good for me too.

chatterbox

I have just gotten a .675 SumToy choke for my 835, and am shooting Fed 3.5-2.25-6 Flitecontrol shells, and the results are promising.
I don't have 40 yard numbers because I couldn't get my EOTech squared away(found out it was operator error), but my 30 yard numbers were awsome.
As soon as it gets warm enough, I will be getting my butt back to the range to dial in my 835 and my FFII.
I know no one is all that interested in the 30 yard numbers, but based on my initial tests, this combo should be decent to good at 40.

tyelper

i shoot rem nitros 3'' number 5

BrowningGuy88

I shoot 1.5 ounce 4,5,6 Winchesters in my Model 12. Shoot Winchester 3-2-6 XX Mag's in the 1300. Shooting H13 this year in the 20, but have always shot Remington Nitro Mags 5's in it up til now.

I think Winchester is where it is at with lead shells.

dawei

I'm a 20ga hunter and I chose Winchester®; specifically..........
• Winchester® Supreme® 20ga 3" Mag 1200fps 1 5/16oz #4Pb (STH2034)

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

surehuntsalot

1st choice is Federal
2nd choice is Winchester
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

WildTigerTrout

Win. 12 ga. HV 3.5" 2 oz. #6 and also the "Old" Federal Premium pre-FC wad in both 10 and 12 ga. I like Win. HV 1 5/16 oz. #5 in my 20 ga.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

MossRem

The very first shotshells I ever bought for turkey hunting were Winchester XX 3" 5 shot, the old 2 oz. loads. I've got more Winchester HV than anything else. As I've posted elsewhere, I'd like to use and root for Remington, too, but not when they can't innovate and put out a shell that patterns like a Winchester one. I just can't get patterns I like with Remington turkey shotshells.

dawei

Quote from: MossRem on March 03, 2012, 08:56:32 PMThe very first shotshells I ever bought for turkey hunting were Winchester XX 3" 5 shot, the old 2 oz. loads. I've got more Winchester HV than anything else. As I've posted elsewhere, I'd like to use and root for Remington, too, but not when they can't innovate and put out a shell that patterns like a Winchester one. I just can't get patterns I like with Remington turkey shotshells.
Like you, I have not had good luck with any Remington® Pb or steel ammunition! I do use original Remington® Hevi•Shot® HTL loads for waterfowl and they are great for that purpose however. Every gobbler I ever harvested since 1978, whether 12ga and 20ga; has been with Winchester® Pb #4's.

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

GeorgeJR

Win HV black shell Supreme 3 inc and 3.5 inch #5s Recommended for the first gun I borrowed, worked well in the second gun I borrowed and now about to test on my new 11-87 SM.  I've taken birds from 20 yrds to 47 yrds w/o any problem oddly enough the 47 yrd bird was with the 3" 870 and the 20 yrd bird was with the 3.5 browning gold.  So I used a cannon at the closest bird.  One loud gun, but dead is dead.  I always like to watch what the birds do after you take out the dominate tom.  This past year deer hunting I saw that after taking out a buck while he was mating, a second buck ran to take over...  Women can be the death of men sometimes.  LOL. 

R AJ

Winchester for 12 ga and Federal FCfor 20 gauge.
Just the opposite as second choices,except that I use pre FC in 12 gauge.