OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Brand new Turkey Thug 535 first day @ range with her.

Started by BrownTrout, February 28, 2012, 08:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrownTrout

With two different choke tubes(Indian Creek and Tru-Glo SSX) with Hevi #7's. I ran out of cardboard and will be getting a nice pile of it tomorrow and will be trying out some 6's and I want to try the 7's again on a clean barrel. I shot these patterns after I shot three two and three quarter shells to get me dialed in on the board. And I shot one 3.5 inch six shot one and three quarter ounce load. Then it was straight to the 3,5 inch two and a quarter ounce sevens. I did run a boresnake in between shots, but my boresnake was pretty dirty before I started. Although the barrel wasn't to bad inbetween shots. I must have done a stand up job with Clarks' deep cleaning process I put her through the day before.

[/img]
[/img]

The IC did better for me, but I only shot the SSX once because it was getting dark. And I did shoot it last. It was 45 degrees here this after noon with a slight breeze blowing into my face. And I think I could have picked a better circle on the SSX. Oh well. I like the IC. And this was a tape measured 40 yards from my shooting bench. This little 20 inch barrell is impressive. And I'm glad I ditched the Waterfowl Edition Nova and the long barrel. The recoil pad I got off of Clark at Allaboutshooting helped bigtime with the recoil. I did try it once without it for comparison and she kicks like a mule without it. The recoil pad was definitely worth the investment.
Who is John Galt?

One of the most ridiculous defenses of foreign aid is that it is a very small part of our national income. If the average American set fire to a five-dollar bill, it would be an even smaller percentage of his annual income. But everyone would consider him foolish for doing it. -- Thomas Sowell in 'Barbarians Inside the Gates'

chatterbox

BrownTrout

I forget how to post pics on this site.  I'm a member on a few different sites and their all different on how you post pics.
Who is John Galt?

One of the most ridiculous defenses of foreign aid is that it is a very small part of our national income. If the average American set fire to a five-dollar bill, it would be an even smaller percentage of his annual income. But everyone would consider him foolish for doing it. -- Thomas Sowell in 'Barbarians Inside the Gates'

BrownTrout

Who is John Galt?

chatterbox

BrownTrout

Who is John Galt?

cannonball

BrownTrout

Thanks guys!

Hey, it's not like some of the patterns you 835 guys get, but it's pretty sweet for a ridge running shotgun.

Its like a toy, nice, lite and compact.

I've seen some good deals on some used older 835's with long barrels around me and I always wanted to hit the 300 club just for kicks and giggles.  But I thought about it alot lately and I wanted to go the lighter compact way.  I may never get to the 300, but I'm plenty happy with 277 on a 45 degree day and wind blowing straight into my face.  Not a big wind but a lite breeze.  And the last four birds I harvested didn't know I wasn't putting 300 in a ten inch circle @ 40 yards. 
Who is John Galt?

Gold Spur

Woo Pig Sooie!!!

tha bugman

njdevilsb

Looks good.  I got some pretty similar numbers with my 535 and those 2 chokes. 

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

vaturkey

Nice Patterns !  Good luck this spring !   :icon_thumright:

vaturkey   :newmascot:
Vaturkey

BrownTrout

Quote from: vaturkey on February 29, 2012, 08:51:48 PM

Nice Patterns !  Good luck this spring !   :icon_thumright:

vaturkey   :newmascot:

Thanks bud, you to.

And thanks to everyone else as well.  And nj's pattern pics did make me go with the IC first.  My first thoughts were trying a PG choke because I've yet to try one in any of my shotguns.  I was thinking about a JH to.  But I went with the IC and SSX after reading his post and talking to Clark.  I do want to try a PG and now a Primos Tightwad has been recommended to me by another 535 owner who had great results with it.

Any of you other fellas have any chokes in mind that I should try?

Thanks again,

Jason
Who is John Galt?

mcgruff1533

Brown Trout:  Do you have any photos of the recoil pad?     I have a 535 Tactical Turkey with the 20" barrel and would like to mitigate the recoil somewhat.