OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Would you recommend this to a complete novice??

Started by mightyjoeyoung, February 28, 2012, 03:45:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mightyjoeyoung

First let me say thank you to VAHUNTER for posting up the most excellent and informative tutorial for pollishing your turkey slayer's barrel!  It made quite the difference even for this guy.  I like to think I am an accomplished hunter/tinkerer and this process really improved my turkey hunting in both patterning more loads well and some loads incredibly well to just making my guns easier to clean!  Here in lies my queery...

As well as VAHUNTER'S process works, I would consider it a project the litterally any one with even a small degree of mechanical ability could do.  Would you folks think that a complete novice, with an unknown level of mechanical inclination, would be well served to use something like a power drill mounted, bore polishing mandrel system, utilizing multiple grit stones to pollish/hone a barerel?  My take is this...a pollishing mandrel stone, even of fairly high grit, can quickly become a reamer and ruin a barrel if left to spin in the same spot for even a few seconds or without proper lubrication.  What do you guys say?  And thanks for your opinions on the matter in advance.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

jakesdad

I personally have not used any stones on any of my barrels.I consider myself to have a reasonable amount of mechanical know how,but in situations like this murphy seems to be right hand man.I have used green scotch brite pads and brass brushes with solvents to shine up or deep clean(?)my barrels,and they all shine like a mirror.I would say if you are in doubt.....................DONT!A "dirty" barrel will outshoot a screwed up barrel anyday.The nervousness of screwing up would be all it take to make sure I did screw something up.Other guys have done it with great success,but this is just my .02

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

mightyjoeyoung

Bump.  I really need some insight on this guys.  I know I would have no trouble with it, but it isn't for me.  I don't want to see a guy get into trouble by taking bad advice is all.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

BowBendr

I would like to think I possess a high level of mechanical aptitude, and even I would not take a stone to my barrel.

I do think Shawns detailed polishing instructions for using scotch-brite, jb paste, kroil and a drill can be acomplished by anyone that's willing to follow directions exactly, without having fear that you're going to ruin a barrel. Use those instructions exactly and you won't need a stone or a hone anyway.

HogBiologist

Certified Wildlife Biologist

afoshie

those instructions leave the barrell looking like a mirror what is the need for the stones and the chance for a screw up?