OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

blue loctite

Started by BrownTrout, February 28, 2012, 01:26:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrownTrout

I just realised I'm out of blue loctite.  I like to use it for scope screws and bases.  I just mounted my Tru-glo red dot on my Turkey Thug and I used Gorilla Glue.  You fellas think that will work?
Who is John Galt?

One of the most ridiculous defenses of foreign aid is that it is a very small part of our national income. If the average American set fire to a five-dollar bill, it would be an even smaller percentage of his annual income. But everyone would consider him foolish for doing it. -- Thomas Sowell in 'Barbarians Inside the Gates'

CASH

A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

dirt road ninja

Bad Idea. If it is still wet take it apart and clean it all out. Brake cleaner, hot water, anything.

reynolds243

davisd9

Think you might regret this one, good luck!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

BrownTrout

Why?

I I didn't get it all over the thread just one little drop on the screw thread.  I don't plan on taking it off anyways.  I had my old rred dot on my Nova for two years and never took it off.  Plus I got one on an AR thats hasn't been off in years.  Besides it's a cheap red dot anyways.  If it needs to come off I'll buzz the cheap nuts off.  I'm not worried about that.  I was wondering how good it works and if it would hold up to the vibrations, I've never used it before.  Getting the nuts off of that cheap thing will take me five minutes tops if it needs to come off.
Who is John Galt?

One of the most ridiculous defenses of foreign aid is that it is a very small part of our national income. If the average American set fire to a five-dollar bill, it would be an even smaller percentage of his annual income. But everyone would consider him foolish for doing it. -- Thomas Sowell in 'Barbarians Inside the Gates'

eaglea1

Is it really necessary to use anything on scope mounts?

BrownTrout

LOL!

So I take it you guys think it will hold?  LOL!!!!!!!

By the responses I think so.  Good.

I was more worried it wouldn't not knowing what the elcheapo red dot was made of.  If this one goes I'll put a Eotech or Aimpoint on.  I love the Eotechs.
Who is John Galt?

davisd9

Quote from: eaglea1 on February 28, 2012, 01:47:18 PM

I never have.  I do check zero every year on all my scoped guns before they hunt.  Never had a problem but it is not a bad idea to do it either.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

longspur

I don't think it will vibrate off.

eaglea1

I'm hopin that I won't need to use anything like that on a new gun, with my Vortex strikefire.

reynolds243

Quote from: eaglea1 on February 28, 2012, 01:47:18 PM

i didnt put anything on my Mueller Quick Shot when i installed it on the base. I did to the base but not the actual sight. just tightened it real good and i check it from time to time.

Reloader

I ruined one hole on an 1187SM by not using LT.  Been using the stuff on every base for a long time, but somehow had a brain fart and didn't on that base.  The screws worked loose even though the sight was a light Burris FF and repeated shooting wore out one of the screw holes.  Sure wasted some shells before I found the problem.

I don't know if GG will work, but I have used other adhesives on threads when LT wasnt available w/o an issue.  I've even used red LT on alloy recievers w/o a problem. I know a smith that uses red on just about all base screws.  I don't know that I'd go that far as blue seems to work fine.

The best thing I've found when I couldnt get my hands on LT was finger nail polish.

If you ever get a screw that doesn't want to back out, put a soldering iron on the head for a bit and try again.

You can usually find blue at any auto parts store, may be the PT brand.

BrownTrout

I usually don't do it.  I only did it with blue loctite on my Nova another cheap red dot(Tru-Glo Gobbledot) and my 7mm mag 4-12 scope.  I missed a trophy of a buck one year at camp due to my rifle rings coming loose.  So my mag and turkey shotguns get blue loctite ever since.  I wouldn't have used the glue on anything super valuable.  If this dot fails its going in the trash anyways, so I'll have no remorse cutting the nuts off of it.
Who is John Galt?

BrownTrout

My biggest worry was if it would hold, because it says it won't adhere well with poly ethelene and something else I forget off the top of my head.  Yeah I also learned the hard way with that gobbledot when I was sighting it in.  It vibrated loose on me a bit the first time.  Blue LT is awesome.  I to had it recommended by a smith.  I'd never use the red LT though on one of my firearms.
Who is John Galt?