Started by leasburg, February 27, 2012, 09:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

if you could only have one turkey weapon what would it be

pump
auto
single
bow

leasburg

This is my first year using an auto, i i was wondering about the general oppinion about what is better and why.  i hope the auto helps me in ks when two big gobs run up on me
Rub it right pro staff, hunt em boats pro staff, proud supporter of floating the 4th shell, take a kid golfing my hunting spots are getting crowded

teke

I don't know about two toms but your shoulder will tank you.. :funnyturkey:

grousec

I tried the pump route first.  But having used auto's and o/u's all my life I just couldn't remember to pump after first shot (and would almost bend the trigger trying to get second shot off).  I traded it for a semi auto and like it much much better. Less recoil too!! lol.

Reloader

It's usually a one and done deal, but I've pulled doubles with a pump as well.  Growing up hunting birds with a pump and an auto, getting a 2nd shot of was just about as fast with either.  I have a pile of each now and still don't find a pump to be a hinderance.

Brent

I'd rather have the reliability and light weight of a pump.  Never felt recoil when I shot a turkey.

FttFttVroom!

I don't have to pump with the hard recoiling loads out there now....especially the Magblends...OUCH!
Those things will shuck themselves outta there.  I like the sheer simplicity and lower cost of a pump.  

redleg06

It's hard to beat the cost and reliability of the pumps and I can shoot a pump just about as fast as a semi.

Most of the time turkey hunting is one and done anyway. I do use an auto for waterfowl hunting where repeated recoil and multiple shots are much more frequent.

gobbler74

All of the above will kill turkeys. Hats off to the bow guys.
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

flayer

I think the pumps shoot a lot harder than the auto's,gas operation looses part of there power moving the shell out of the camber and cycling another shell to the chamber.

deadbuck

I thought a pump was cool when i was younger, now I won't carry anything but an auto or O/U. A pump cost me a turkey once when the hull wouldn't eject after the first shot so don't think they are foolproof.

goblr77

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

joshb311

Quote from: Brent on February 27, 2012, 10:29:57 PM
I'd rather have the reliability and light weight of a pump.  Never felt recoil when I shot a turkey.

x2

MouthCaller

I selected auto although I dont think it really matters when hunting turkeys. Ive never lived in a state that allowed more than one bird per day so I dont have an arguement on the speed side of it but I cn give you my own personal pros and cons of a semi-auto. First is when I duck or dove hunt I dont feel like Im as rushed to shoot as I do with a pump and I shoot a lot better but with that I had to over come the knowledge of being able to have that second shot backup so quickly and not to rush the first shot.

chipper

My favorite gun is my 870 sPs-t, I,ve killed a lot of birds with it, know how it shoots,and it shoots strait to point of aim, But due to a bum shoulder I've been relying on a SX2 and SX3 the last 3 years.