North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

3.5" Nitro 517 Super X2 Indian Creek .665 at 40 yards

Started by tha bugman, February 27, 2012, 02:24:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tha bugman

K9Doc

Check out the latest pressure trace data performed by Reloader in the reloading section for the Nitro ammo.  It is an eye opener.  You are playing with DYNOMITE!!! 
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

tha bugman

wvhunter74

I've been down this this road before with the Nitro 517, just way to much shot for those tight chokes.

tha bugman

I thought that the Super X2 is back bored to a 10 gauge like the Mossbergs are???
Quote from: slickyboyboo on February 29, 2012, 11:31:29 AM
Quote from: wvhunter74 on February 27, 2012, 07:07:10 PM
I've been down this this road before with the Nitro 517, just way to much shot for those tight chokes.

Its not the choke, that is too tight, although the Invector + bore tends to work well with a .675 ED chokes also. It is the bore that is the problem. A 12 ga bore is too small to send a 10 ga payload down. Your gun would do way way way better if you were to shoot 2.25 oz load.

wvhunter74

I shot the 517 duplex thru my moss 935 with a Rhino .695 and the patterns were crap so, I had a HS strut .705 laying around tried it and the pellet count went way up by 60-80 pellets.The 51013A would be the shell to shoot if you wanted to stick with the Nitros.

tha bugman

so it is larger than a standard 12
Quote from: slickyboyboo on February 29, 2012, 01:59:03 PM
Quote from: tha bugman on February 29, 2012, 12:50:56 PM
I thought that the Super X2 is back bored to a 10 gauge like the Mossbergs are???
Quote from: slickyboyboo on February 29, 2012, 11:31:29 AM
Quote from: wvhunter74 on February 27, 2012, 07:07:10 PM

Its not the choke, that is too tight, although the Invector + bore tends to work well with a .675 ED chokes also. It is the bore that is the problem. A 12 ga bore is too small to send a 10 ga payload down. Your gun would do way way way better if you were to shoot 2.25 oz load.

No the 835 has an over bored bore dia of .775, the Invector + is over bored .745. Standard 12 ga bore is .729

n2deer

Still a dead bird. But if you would Luke to pick up a little I would suggest the same as boo.

A fiend recently shoot those two loads out of his SX3. Got 280s with the lighter load and 220s with the heavier load.

He was using a jelly head choke.

RIO329

I GRADUATED FROM COLORADO SCHOOL OF TRDES GUNSMITHING SCHOOL IN 1977, AND EVEN BACK THEN ,WE PUSHED LIGHTER LOADS AT FASTER SPEEDS YOU RELOADERS OUT THERE KNOW  THAT ITS THE SPEED THATS KILLS NOT ALWAYS THE PAY LOAD I SHOOT 1/5/8 OZS OF # 5 GOING OVER 1350 FPS IN A BERETTA 3 INCH WITH 24 INCH BBL WITH A CARLSON 655 ITS VERY LETHEL OUT PASS 50 YARDS, RICK :z-guntootsmiley:

HookDaddy

What are nitros recommendations on the super x2?  What barrel length?

tha bugman

DirtNap647

DirtNap647

HookDaddy

Bugman I didn't find where he recommended the mega weight load for the x2.  He recommends a .670 choke and your shooting a .665.  I would bet if you used a .670 your numbers would go up to the advertised 230-270.  To all these people taking about nitros crazy pressure I've shot them for four years without one single problem and love them.  The shells in the reloading thread that produced the high pressures where recalled.  If you'll read that thread nitro ray explains it all.

tha bugman

I shot two diffferent .670 chokes...(Jellyhead and Rhino) and could not get the numbers that I am getting with the Indian Creek....guess just difference in guns...I am going to send a few more downrange today using the brownpaper method...I shot it yesterday with birdshot at 20 yards and got the POI almost centered on the paper...may fire a few more to get POI down a little or may just shoot turkey load at 40 and see where POI is before I monkey with it anymore.... :emoticon-animal-005:
Quote from: HookDaddy on March 05, 2012, 07:34:01 PM
Bugman I didn't find where he recommended the mega weight load for the x2.  He recommends a .670 choke and your shooting a .665.  I would bet if you used a .670 your numbers would go up to the advertised 230-270.  To all these people taking about nitros crazy pressure I've shot them for four years without one single problem and love them.  The shells in the reloading thread that produced the high pressures where recalled.  If you'll read that thread nitro ray explains it all.