OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Remington 4x6 Duplex loads?

Started by mcgruff1533, February 27, 2012, 08:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcgruff1533

I picked up a box of Remington 4x6 Duplex loads to try a few days ago, and I'm curious what percentage of the load is #4's and #6's.     I wanted some Nitro 6's but all the store had was #4's and the Duplex loads.

The shells are 3", 1-7/8 ounce and 4x6 shot.

I will be shooting them from my Mossberg 535 with a 20" barrel.

My available chokes are the following:

Wright's .650"

Indian Creek BDS .660"

Undertaker .665"

Tom Foolery

I think they have 1/4oz of #4's in them.

Philippe

I cut one of those open a while back and the amount of 4's in it is small, i'd rather shoot straight 6's.

Longshanks

My Rem870 shoots great patterns with those at 30yds but they really fall apart at 40yds.  I killed allot of turkeys with those in the 80's but my dad and i always focused on getting the turkeys inside 30yds.

mcgruff1533

Quote from: Philippe on February 27, 2012, 09:07:47 AM
I cut one of those open a while back and the amount of 4's in it is small, i'd rather shoot straight 6's.

Same here.    I wanted straight 6's, but it was either the duplex loads or straight #4's.    They were pretty cheap and I had the desire for a little experimentation once the weather warms up a little bit.

Doing the math, if those Duplex loads carry 1/4 oz of #4 shot with the balance being #6's, that should be a total count of roughly 398 pellets.

The payload is 1-7/8 ounces which would equate to about 33 #4 pellets and 365 #6 pellets.    I'll give them a try once the temps warm up a bit and I'll be slinging lead this Spring if they can put 100+ in the 10".

surehuntsalot

I have some 2x4  3" shells that I shoot in my 3" 1100 .690 fixed full choke from time to time
it's not the harvest,it's the chase