OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Old white h13 and browning gold

Started by Quax, February 26, 2012, 10:20:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quax

Anybody got any combos that worked well with old white and the inv + system? Did that shell like to be choked down or did it like something in the 670-675 range?

Thanks!

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Quax on February 26, 2012, 10:20:57 PM
Anybody got any combos that worked well with old white and the inv + system? Did that shell like to be choked down or did it like something in the 670-675 range?

Thanks!

I shot a lot of those shells from mid-2004 through 2006. It was the dominant still target shell in 2005 and 2006 and many cases were shot in practice and on the range by most of the still target shooters in that period. Everyone finally settled on one brand of choke or another but they were in the .640 to .650 range.

The same had been found out about the original HS loads and also about the Remington HS loads.

Early on, it was thought that if you shot those shells through a choke tighter than .675 it would do irreparable damage to you gun, choke or both and that  patterns would be "blown". We all found out that was just not the case.

That did not apply just to still target shooting but also to hunting. Everyone around then learned a lot about what worked and what did not work and most of the "wisdom of the day" was proven false through those efforts.

In barrels from the "tight" Benellis to the more open Invector+ a choke with an e.d. of .640 to .650 worked and still works best.

I still have some of those shells and shoot a  few through every new choke tube design that I try, just to see how they work through them. Some chokes just shoot better than others because of the "internals" but the e.d. rule still holds true.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Quax

Reloader

I tried several chokes with them in an INV+ BG and found the old Star Dot .667 to be very good, but they are hard to find.  The Kicks .655 was near the same, but they don't suggest Hevi in their chokes.  I've found that the JH .670 performs well with many different loads, including lead, in the inv+ guns.

Those old whites do quite well in a variety of chokes and bores.  I'd start with what you have and go from there.  With the OWs being hard to find these days, you may want to consider a choke that does well with loads that are available.

chipper

I run a couple through a SX3 last year with a IC.665,averaged right at 200 in the 10 at a measured 40yrds. They we're the #6's.

Quax

Thanks for the info guys. I've got a variety of chokes; just was wanting a starting point. Didnt want to burn thru these 5 boxes I scored upon too quickly.

Reloader, I shot the old white 6 thru my weatherby sa-08 yesterday with a star dot and got a very good, evenly dispersed 175 in the 10 at 40.