Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

870 Supermag, Winchester 3.5" HV #6 pattern pics

Started by FttFttVroom!, February 26, 2012, 05:30:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FttFttVroom!

Got some better weather today and shot the Winchester High Velocity today looking to find an affordable alternative to the HTL situation.  I finally got a lead pattern with just over 100 hits (101 to be exact) in the ten at 40 yds.  Both the Jellyhead .660 and Kicks .665 posted 101 hits, but the Kicks was much more evenly spread in my opinion.  I may not be close to 200 like I was with Hevi and WinXRHD, but at $1.25 a shot vs. $6.00......I can do fine with either of these lead patterns at 40 yds and under and most likely will do better if I try the Supreme XX with a 1/4 oz more shot.

Philippe

I love those Win HV 2.25oz #6 loads, shot'em today and they are impressive for lead. I will be stocking up for sure. Give'em a whirl and i think you'll like'em too.

Britton40

A dead turkey is worth $6 to me any day. Think about all the other stuff you spend money on for Turkey hunting. Don't go cheap where it matters most. Just my $.02.

Tom Foolery

Looks good.

My 835 likes the 2oz HV #6 or the 2.25oz #5, weird.

cannonball

jfair

Looks good!  My 11-87 shoots Federal 3.5, 2.25, 6's best for me.  I know they say not to shoot through the ported chokes with the flight control wads, but I have no problems, just keep the ports clean.  .665 jellyhead,  hevi shot choke tube, or the rem. that came with it give me consistently in the 120-130's.  I may pick up a box of the Win's as well to give them a try.  I was getting in the 200's range with Hevi but I'm with you on the price.

savduck

When shooting lead.....its hard to beat Winchester ammo. Until Indian Creek tubes came out, my guns loved them out of Kicks.

Nice pattern. Congrats to you.
Georgia Boy

shuey270

Nice, another 100 pellets is still just as dead!

surehuntsalot

lead was killing them long before the "other" stuff was here and will go one killing them
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

tyelper

gersus

I like the kicks pattern a little better. Looks pretty good for lead.

DblClk

The result of these patterns is a dead turkey any way you look at it.  I am not a numbers guy I look for consistency and even distribution. The distribution here looks great !!!

Todd1700

If I were still shooting lead those black Winchester shells would be in my gun. Killed quite a few birds with Win HV number 5's.

mightyjoeyoung

Nice and even!  I have 8 new boxes of the Supreme HV 3.5" 6s to try out.  Don't think they'll match my federal loads, but I'm sure they'll come real close.  Good stuff!
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

GeorgeJR

Quote from: Todd1700 on March 09, 2012, 07:03:58 AM
If I were still shooting lead those black Winchester shells would be in my gun. Killed quite a few birds with Win HV number 5's.

+1 for Win HV #5  Never had a turkey talk back to me yet.