turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hello from middle TN

Started by yankeedeerslayer, February 25, 2012, 09:53:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yankeedeerslayer

Hello all. My name is Ed and I joined OG a while ago and have been lurking for a while and have decided to take a more active roll on the forum. I'm currently 40 and live in Woodlawn, TN near Clarksville. It's in the north middle part of the state. I was stationed here at Ft Campbell, KY and when I got out of the Army I decided to stay local. I live near the TN/KY border and hunt in both states. I'm a dad and my boys are active hunters and I try my best to be the best mentor I possibly can. Something I was regrettably lacking when I was growing up. Even though I've hunted turkey for about 7 years I am still a rookie and learning stuff all the time.

This year I am setting a goal to get all the boys (3 of them ages 6, 8 and 9) shots at turkey. At least get one to strut and gobble in front of them. Being young boys when they started chasing birds with me it was very trying getting them to keep up and sit still and be quiet. Each when it was supposed to be done. Only once was one with me when I closed the deal on a bird and I can assure you he is hooked and his brothers are not far behind.

My preferred style of hunting is to find birds that are ready to die. I'm not the most patient of people and have nearly no interest in hunting birds I cannot hear or see unless I've patterned them and know they will be there sometime during the course of the day. Friends of mine all say I'll kill way more birds if I can sit longer and have faith. Do they just not know me all that well? Besides I absolutely love the racket these birds make. Gobbling, spit and drum, hen chatter is all music to my ears. Deer don't talk back. Ducks do talk a little but not in the same way. Rabbits, squirrels and birds all silent unless fleeing for dear live. Don't get me wrong because I hunt anything that tastes good and I have access to. I enjoy each animal in their own right. Turkey just give me something that the others don't.

My future projects and curiosities are handloading/reloading of both rifle/handgun ammo and also shot shells. I also have an incomplete muzzleloading rifle kit that I would like to finish.

I am on other boards such as Doug's, TNDeer, TNducks and Kentucky Hunting and others. Some of them I am known as tasaman so if your on there feel free to say hi on there too.
US Army Vet

JVA54

Basser69

spurman

:hello99: :welcomeOG: Ed,  good luck to you and your boys.
Spring turkey hunting, I love it so.                FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

turkey slayer

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

FttFttVroom!

cannonball

longspur

hunter-b

Hognutz

May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

MisterEd55

"You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might."  Deuteronomy 6:5