turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Primos TightWad Chokes

Started by campcreekfarm, February 25, 2012, 09:34:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

campcreekfarm

Anyone use these for a 20 gauge?  Wondering how they do?  I am not looking to break any records just wanting a good overall pattern for a 20 gauge but cant decide if I want to try one of these.  Oh, by the way I have both a Rem 870 and Benelli in 20 gauge if that matters.

thundrchikin

I use one in my 870 26" barrel. It shoots both the Hevi #6 or#7 very well. I can't remember the exact #'s. I haven't patterned it in two years but from the amount dead birds I don't really feel it's needed either. I will not shoot the #'s some are getting but it does throw a nice even killing pattern. Good Luck.

MERCing

It is one of the best chokes I have found for my Rem 1100 Youth(21 in bbl) when using Hevi13's.
It does not like the Fed HW 's in my set-up.

surehuntsalot

Quote from: MERCing on February 25, 2012, 11:49:42 AM
It is one of the best chokes I have found for my Rem 1100 Youth(21 in bbl) when using Hevi13's.
It does not like the Fed HW 's in my set-up.

that's good to know
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Hooks' n' Beards'

Highknob

I've got one in an 870 youth and it's done a good job. Sorry no numbers but hope to have some later. Only thing i've found it really likes so far are the hevi 13 #5. I've taken 5 birds with those and longest about 40 yds. I did pattern before i hunted and it didn't like remmy copper #6's or Kent #6's. I'll look up the hevi shot target tomorrow and let you know some numbers. I also talked with Primos about the choke and they said it was the exact machined choke as the Jelly Head only with lower cost metal. For turkey hunting it should last a lifetime.

NorthGaHunter

This will be my third year using an 870 20 ga.  The first year, I used a tightwad
choke and got 300 TSS #9 in a 10 inch circle at 40 yards.  In fact, I think it put like 157 pellets at 60 yards.  Toward the end of the season, I was just curious how the pattern held up at 50 and 60. 

I was little concerned with it being too tight, so last year I went with
an Indian Creek .575 to open it up a little bit.  I think there has ben 6 or 7 birds taken with mine.  My cousin took one or two with it.  All of them were under 40. 

My 870 did not seem to like .555 chokes.  my best results seemed to be with .570 - .575.

thundrchikin

I shot 2 shots with the Titewad and the Fed HW #7's in my 870 26"barrel this morning. 1st was 139 in 10" circle the 2nd was 131. Not the #'s some are getting but I could move the circle 3-4" in any direction and still come up with the same #'s. To me that's a good killing pattern with room for operator error. I'm happy with it.

Hunt4Meat

Quote from: thundrchikin on March 07, 2012, 03:39:54 PM
I shot 2 shots with the Titewad and the Fed HW #7's in my 870 26"barrel this morning. 1st was 139 in 10" circle the 2nd was 131. Not the #'s some are getting but I could move the circle 3-4" in any direction and still come up with the same #'s. To me that's a good killing pattern with room for operator error. I'm happy with it.

I got 124 in 10 at 40 yesterday with a tightwad and Fed HW #7's
If at first you don't succeed, shoot again.

thundrchikin

I've tried the SSX, GSX and the Rem SF and the Titewad has proven to be the most constant of all. On a side note I shot the Hevi 13 #6's through it last week and out of 3 shots I averaged 100 even in a 10" circle. The choke seems to put up respectable #'s with a variety of loads.

Waddle Whacker

I bought one a couple weeks ago to shoot out of an 870 compact, 21" barrel with Fed HW 7's. I averaged 154. It really surprised me. I have not tried any of the H13 stuff and probably won't. I also tried the SSX, which works great for some, and I averaged around 110. It'll kill, but I like that 150 better out of the TW. I would definitely recommend giving one a try, won't hurt you too bad at $22 and might just work.

Jbux44

I shot the tightwad today out of my 870 26" barrel with hv13 7s. I had 136 and 133 in the ten circle at 40 in my two shots.

surehuntsalot

ya"ll are going to make me pick one of these up
played around some with my .570 Hastings today and so far I don't like what I've seen

surehuntsalot

well I picked up one of the Tight Wad chokes this morning and patterned some shells through it this afternoon
first shot was a Winchester XX 3"1-1/4oz#5   110 in a 12"circle at 35 yds
second shot was a Winchester 2-3/4" HB 1oz #6    124 in a 12" circle at 35yds
third shot was what I have been looking for a Hevishot 3" 1-1/4oz#5x6x7 MagBlend
the TightWad choke really liked this shell     230 in a 12" circle at 35yds
will get a pic up as soon as I can

thundrchikin

Nothing wrong with any of those shots. I feel the Titewad is a very good choke for the money.