turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Benelli choke recomendation

Started by jjenkins, February 24, 2012, 06:09:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjenkins

my brother gave me his super black eagle to use as he quit hunting. i came with a jelly head 655 turkey choke that he never screwed in the gun. i have a bunch of #5 & #6 shot 3 1/2 inch loads. some rem. kent winchester federal all lead shot. will this jelly head work or do i need to get something else.

Cy

Thanks...I'll watch this one. 

I've been working on an SBE for 10 years now.  It shoots "okay" and I'm not dissatisfied with it, more a project than anything else. 

I shoot a Rhino .673 with 2oz Nitro 4/5/7.  When I fooled with it last week it put right at 200 into 10 inches at 40 yards.  The 3 inch Magblends put about 150 into 10 inches.  Both patterns were very even and both shells shot to the same point of aim.

I noticed on the Nitro site that they recommend the Jellyhead .655 along with a .660 Rhino (I believe that is correct) and I am starting to suspect that my .673 might not be quite as tight as the gun might like.   

SKFOOTER

Ditch the lead loads and get some Hevi 6's and 7's.  That Jellyhead .655 will be just the ticket!! :icon_thumright:

GobblinNC

i shoot a rhino .660 and nitro 4x5x7 out of my SBEII. gets great numbers

allaboutshooting

Quote from: jjenkins on February 24, 2012, 06:09:39 PM
my brother gave me his super black eagle to use as he quit hunting. i came with a jelly head 655 turkey choke that he never screwed in the gun. i have a bunch of #5 & #6 shot 3 1/2 inch loads. some rem. kent winchester federal all lead shot. will this jelly head work or do i need to get something else.

I'd recommend that you give what you have a try. I would not invest in anything else until you see what you have. One or more of those may work quite well for you and if that's the case, you're ready to go.

Best of luck this spring.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

yelpy

I would bet that the Win. and the Federals do best.

jjenkins

i will give the jelly head a try, i also have some hevi shot 3 1/2 inch 21/4 oz #6 & # 7 shot. in my mossy 935 i get great patterns with a pure gold choke and hevi shot fodder

Turkeyslayer 101

:whip2: :newmascot:
Quote from: GobblinNC on February 24, 2012, 11:29:52 PM
i shoot a rhino .660 and nitro 4x5x7 out of my SBEII. gets great numbers
X2
Be sharp but don't cut yourself!

Hooks' n' Beards'

Gobblin Thunder and Winchester 5's