Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Is it me or is the lead board really growing?

Started by trkehunr93, February 23, 2012, 11:03:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trkehunr93

Lot of activity lately!  Tungsten prices look like they are having an effect.

mnbirdbuster

No its growing, not sure how much leverage the increase in $ of tungsten is affecting it though! Lead still kills, in most guns lead numbers wont get close to alot of loads like Hevi13, etc! Lead is like a ford or a chevy vs a bmw or jaguar! Still gets ya from place to place, cheaper, just not quite as flashy!!!!

mcgruff1533

I've always posted here, and still hunt with lead if the terrain permits.     It will be nice to see more people posting in the lead section.

Longshanks

My hope is that folks are coming around to the fact that harvesting turkeys is more productive and effecient if you let the turkey get inside 40yds regardless of what you shoot.  This trend could be the best thing that has happened to turkey hunting in the last decade or so. Folks are realizing that lead will get it done inside 40 very effectively as long as testing is done with Gun/Choke/Shell.  The price has allot of folks looking at Pb as well.  The folks on the lead section of this website seem to have allot of the same views and respect for the wild turkey that i share.  Experiencing the hunt as well as the harvest is what its all about to me.  Theres nothing like having a gobbler strut and drum up to about 15-20 and gobble right in front of you looking for the hen..inside 35yds the lead combos i have are devastating..I limit out on turkeys every year within 40yds and see no need to push further with distance.  The most important factors in harvesting turkeys for me has not been what kind of shell i have in my gun. Its been concealment/camo, setting up in the right place, and knowing when to call/when not to call, and knowing what call to make.. :turkey2:

saveallj

Plus you can buy four times as many lead shells than HTL for the same price

Thegobblergetter

Well said Longshanks!!  The name of the game is how close can you get Mr. Longbeard to you.  Having a big-O Longbeard 35yds or closer strutting, spitting, and drumming - there is nothing like it!!!!!!  John

joshb311

Quote from: Thegobblergetter on February 24, 2012, 11:31:27 AM
Well said Longshanks!!  The name of the game is how close can you get Mr. Longbeard to you.  Having a big-O Longbeard 35yds or closer strutting, spitting, and drumming - there is nothing like it!!!!!!  John

x2   Gotta love the rush!

FttFttVroom!

Amen to getting them closer.  I'll admit i've been tempted to shoot farther than I normally would have with lead when using HTL loads.  Now I look at HTL as a form of range estimation insurance......NOT range extension.

After my harvests, I use my spent hulls to make a beard display.  Looking at them all.....the vast majority are Winchester Supreme HV shells.  Something was working for me then! ;D

Kylongspur88

Hevi has it's time and place if one chooses to use it. I use lead in the woods or in broken terrain. Never felt limited or under gunned in any of those setups with lead. Getting a bird in range is just part of the game. I have let some real dandy birds walk, but I would rather chase them another day than cripple one or really educate an already smart gobbler.

Longshanks

Quote from: Kylongspur88 on February 25, 2012, 02:24:17 PM
Hevi has it's time and place if one chooses to use it. I use lead in the woods or in broken terrain. Never felt limited or under gunned in any of those setups with lead. Getting a bird in range is just part of the game. I have let some real dandy birds walk, but I would rather chase them another day than cripple one or really educate an already smart gobbler.

:z-winnersmiley: Thank you. Thats the way i was taught to hunt.

mnbirdbuster

You go to the woods with the best patterning load you can find in your gun refardless of $$$! If its lead cuz you cant or wont buy HTL so be it! I shoot Hevi13 in my 870, but used lead for years and still do at times! It has its place, if one pellet in the right place will kill a gobbler, most guns shooting lead will put 20+ in the head and neck of a bird at 40yds its plenty good! The HTL loads probably put 60+ in there but we all know what the end result is in either instance :you_rock: Keep shooting boys :whip2:

FttFttVroom!

It's kinda like deer hunting with a .243 vs. a .50 BMG.......they will both kill em,
but you can't get deader than dead.  It all comes down to woodsmanship and
personal preference. 

surehuntsalot

Quote from: Longshanks on February 24, 2012, 09:07:32 AM
My hope is that folks are coming around to the fact that harvesting turkeys is more productive and effecient if you let the turkey get inside 40yds regardless of what you shoot.  This trend could be the best thing that has happened to turkey hunting in the last decade or so. Folks are realizing that lead will get it done inside 40 very effectively as long as testing is done with Gun/Choke/Shell.  The price has allot of folks looking at Pb as well.  The folks on the lead section of this website seem to have allot of the same views and respect for the wild turkey that i share.  Experiencing the hunt as well as the harvest is what its all about to me.  Theres nothing like having a gobbler strut and drum up to about 15-20 and gobble right in front of you looking for the hen..inside 35yds the lead combos i have are devastating..I limit out on turkeys every year within 40yds and see no need to push further with distance.  The most important factors in harvesting turkeys for me has not been what kind of shell i have in my gun. Its been concealment/camo, setting up in the right place, and knowing when to call/when not to call, and knowing what call to make.. :turkey2:

one of the best post I have read in awhile about hunting and woodsmanship
set up and calling is what turkey hunting is.....shooting the bird is just extra
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

GeorgeJR

Extra insurance on hevi, but if your setup for under 40 yrd shots no insurance should be needed.  I ran smooth bore slugs for years deer hunting, but I have a great stand that has produced well for the past 15 yrs, but reaching out past 75 yrds was becoming a stretch for my old 1100 2-3/4 gun and had many nice deer just outside my range.  Borrowed my brothers 3" 870 with rifled barrel sited in at 100 with my group 1.25 for 3 right around the center circle of the target.  Opening day 1 deer under 35 yrds running at me was killed and would have been dead with either gun, but took 3 more at 80+ yrds that allowed me a limited view neck shot on 1 right in his tracks,and 2 more very clean kills on vitals standing.  Had I used my smooth bore those shots I wouldn't have taken, or would have been pushing past what I should have been....  I see the advantage of reach for deer hunting for my hunting conditions, but for the extra cost I don't see the huge advantage for Turkeys again for my conditions.  I also like to keep the overall cost for the meat down.  I wouldn't second guess anyone hunting with what ever gives them confidence to make a one shot kill, but some should target more and become confident in what you are shooting regardless of latest / greatest from what I have seen on our farm. 

MERCing

Probably growing, lol

I've shot the HTL loads for years but apter seeing some of the lead patterns posted recently, I think I'm going to start experimenting again.