Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

mossy 835 w/kicks 660 and fed #5 with flight control wad

Started by Rockhound, February 23, 2012, 09:48:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rockhound

I patterned my gun yesterday with federal mag shok flight control wads and its purty dang good this is at 40 yard out of my mossberg 835 and a kicks 660 choke. I got 140 on paper (this is a turkey target just turned over so you can see the holes) with 40 pellets somewhere in the turkeys head neck area. My shot was about 3-4 in high. With the shot being that high and a little to the left i think if point of impact being lower i would have gotten closer to 200 on paper because the densest part of my pattern was almost cut IN HALF. Had i been 3 inches lower i would have cut out about 20 shot but added that much more of my more dense part of the pattern and i think "numbers would have been ALOT better.This by the way is an 11x8 piece of paper that i copied the turkey target to it is NOT a standard size turkey target you buy in store. DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT A NUMBERS GUY AND THIS IS THE FIRST TIME I HAVE COUNTED NUMBERS ON THE WHOLE PATTERN I USUALLY JUST COUNT SHOT IN BIRDS HEAD!

saveallj

Tom Foolery

That is by far the tightest choke I have ever heard of in an 835.  Is that their card shooter?

Rockhound

what do you guys think would happen if i was to go to a 670 choke in this gun because from what i read they are the recomended choke for 835 this is really the best shooting lead shell i have found with winchester HV #5 coming in second with 100 on paper and 37 in turkeys head i feel like that could improve but im not sure had to run and count the other target lol

Rockhound

Quote from: Tom Foolery on February 23, 2012, 10:14:46 AM
That is by far the tightest choke I have ever heard of in an 835.  Is that their card shooter?

I think so im thinking of trying a 670 or 680 to get better patterns out of other lead

longspur

Turkhunter

I've got excellent patterns out of a Kicks .680 with 5's.... which kinda surprised me to be honest.  But the 680 actually shot everything very well in the Win HV's.

devin4484

Quote from: Tom Foolery on February 23, 2012, 10:14:46 AM
That is by far the tightest choke I have ever heard of in an 835. 
:agreed:  I with this guy on that. 

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase