OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

RULES: Every Crusader please read, and reply.

Started by BOFF, February 22, 2012, 09:36:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BOFF

Hey Guys!!

It's getting closer to turkey season. Looking forward to having a good year, and the Crusaders making a run for top place. In order to do so though, we need everyone on the same page, knowing ALL the rules and regulations.

I know this is a lot of information, but it is all pertinent to the contest. Please read, look at the links, and reply AFTER you have read everything.

In replying, you are stating to all Crusaders, YOU know the rules, and therefore there should be minimal reasons for "I didn't know".    

Here's a link to scoring and measuring.

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,15401.0.html

Here's the scoring page:

http://oldgobbler.com/checkstation.htm

Your CRUSADERS Commitment:

This contest is as much or more about the spirit of competition, the camaraderie that comes with being part of a team and ultimately sharing in the great sport of turkey hunting, as it is about the potential to earn bragging rights for the year 2012.

As a participant in the 2012 Turkey Hunting Contest you have made a commitment to both the Old Gobbler member community and the other 11 members of your team. Your teammates all have the right to expect that every team member will make an honest effort to participate in our online team activities and to contribute more than just a name on their team roster and some pictures in a scoring thread at the end of the contest.

Your Team Score Contribution:

In order to have any chance of being competitive in this contest we need at least 9 different guys out of 12 to successfully harvest a turkey. That is a 75%  hunter success rate!!!!!  

Therefore, EVERY KILL NEEDS TO BE DOCUMENTED AND PHOTOED CORRECTLY!!! There may not be another chance.

Each successful hunter will need to properly measure, photograph and score their bird's weight, spurs and beard(s); and then post their total score and photo documentation into CRUSADERS 2012 Kill Thread sticky. Each team member has the option of upgrading their own bird score by posting a higher scoring bird during the contest period. Sounds easy, but don't kid yourself it is not. Every year there have been teams whose member's bird scores have been either disqualified or downgraded due to improper measuring, poor photo quality or missing photo documentation. Worse yet, there have even been contestants who appear to have simply not followed through on their contest and team obligations to post their bird.

It is completely understandable and acceptable that for an infinite number of reasons some guys may not be lucky enough to harvest a bird. This is all part of the challenge of turkey hunting and most of us have either been there or come real close. What is not acceptable is to just walk away from your teammates. If you do not get your bird, just be ready to honor your efforts, your quarry and your team commitment by manning-up and posting your results. Then standby to provide encouragement, recognition and hopefully not too much consoling for the rest of your teammates.

Things you will need for scoring:

A reliable Digital Camera, with suitable close-up capabilities, that you or someone else knows how to operate. Ideally, you should make arrangements for someone to assist with taking the measurements and necessary photos. Taking multiple photos of the various measurements and required poses is the best way to reduce the chance of losing points due to a poor quality or missing photo. Download/back-up your photo image files to a reliable storage device and/or your photo-bucket account ASAP to avoid the possibility of camera or even computer hard drive failures and loss of your hard earned pictures.

A Scale that measures pounds and ounces at a minimum. Digital fish scales with a 0 to 50lb.range are a popular and fairly inexpensive choice. Do not short change yourself or your teammates by trying to get by with a spring scale that only reads to the nearest pound. If you weigh in on a certified scale at the local hardware store you MUST have a picture of the bird on the scale showing the weight. A gold embossed, notarized, certified letter from the store clerk attesting to the weight is not an acceptable substitute. If you were planning on using that crusty/rusty old "de-liar" that you inherited from your grandpas tackle box please re-consider.

A Tape Measure with 1/16th of an inch markings. Your steel Stanley tape will be good for the beard measurement, but a cloth-type tape may be a better option for accurately measuring the spurs.

A piece of cardboard, heavy paper or paper grocery bag and a black marker pen.

Photos you will need to take for posting in the team scoring thread:

To my understanding, pictures of the measurements MUST BE with beard and feet still attached to the turkey.

1. You will need to write down the following information/measurements in a size that is large enough to be clearly visible in a posted photo.

CRUSADERS
Your OG Username
Date:
Weight: lbs____ oz. ____
Beard length:
Right Spur length:
Left Spur length:

Total Score:________

2. A picture of your bird on the scale that clearly shows the weight. You need a picture of more than just a foot, or just the scale. The whole bird on the scale is BEST.

3. A picture of the beard(s) measurement clearly showing the length from the base of the beard to the end of the longest hair. True multiple beard gobblers will have some skin between the bases of their beards get an additional picture showing this skin separation between the bases and photograph the measurement of each beard.

4. and 5. Clear pictures of both the Right and Left spur measurements

6. Take a nice picture of you and your bird with a good background setting for consideration in the OG best photo part of the contest, if we have one this year.

Things you will need to know:

How to convert ounces to their decimal equivalent of a pound. (ounces X .0625)

The decimal equivalents of an inch for measurements in 1/16 increments.( # of 1/16th's X .0625)

How to use the Scoring Calculator http://oldgobbler.com/checkstation.htm or the scoring formula multipliers

Tips:

It is not unusual to shoot a bird which has an extra long wild hair or hairs that can be an inch or more longer than the rest of its beard hairs. These longest hairs do count in the official scoring and must be protected from being pulled out during handling and transport from the field to "photo" time.

Please read the rules per the first link. Not doing so correctly will cost you your score, and even the possibility, of no score for your bird.

You must have pictures. Please have a picture of you ,your screen name and measurements clearly printed on sheet of paper. You will need to post your kill to our team kill thread.

Any questions please ask.

God Bless,
David B.

hookedspur

I hope I have them down .
Best of luck to us all , and take plenty of pictures ..
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

kamski1151

When I'm not in the woods, I'm honkin on a Blues Harp

GobbleNut

David,....thank you for taking the time to make that post!  Good points made.

I think some points regarding the scoring need to be reinforced.  Every year, there are pictures posted of gobblers and measurements that are quite obviously inaccurate.  It works both ways, though.  Some guys screw themselves over by not giving themselves enough credit on measurements, ....and then there are those guys that pad their scores by fudging on the measurements. 
1)  Weight:  A digital scale is inexpensive and is much more accurate than one of those spring-loaded jobs.  Get a digital.
2)  Spurs:  make sure you measure from the base of the spur along the curve to the tip,...and use a flexible tape.  Every year, there are pictures of spurs posted in the contest where guys incorrectly measure, and cost themselves points for not measuring correctly. ...And then there are those guys that get questioned on their spur measurements by fudging the tape so that they give themselves more length than the spur actually is.  Study up on how to measure and do it right.
3)  Beard:  be sure to measure from the base of the beard sheath where it meets the breast skin, and as David indicated, measure to the end of the longest hair.  Make sure you straighten the beard hairs out flat so that you get full length.  If you need to, use masking tape and a rigid tape measure so you can hold the beard in place and straight while measuring. 
4)  taking the required pictures, if you are alone, is pretty tricky.  Having some masking tape (or similar) to act as another pair of hands is really helpful for both spur and beard measurements. 

Finally, I realize that we are making a big deal out of something that is supposed to be just for fun.  However, since we have committed ourselves to the contest and the team, we should each do our best to do things properly.  Good pictures of properly-done measurements will help insure that we have done our best to comply with the rules.  If we are fortunate enough to end up being one of the top teams at the end of it all, the judging panel will be scrutinizing the pictures to make sure everything is in compliance.

Mostly,...Let's just have some fun with it!

Jim

BOFF

Well written Jim.

I agree it's all for fun, I just don't like doing things half way.

I gotta go back and add to the rules, to my understanding, pictures of the measurements MUST BE with beard and feet still attached to the turkey.

God Bless,
David B.

anthonyjhallen

Outstanding post David.  The rules are clear and I have faith that the contest moderators will professionally execute their jobs by ensuring everyone adheres to the standards.  It is up to us as a team to make sure that there are no questions concerning the score.

If we put forth more effort than the other teams in every aspect of the contest I honestly believe that we will come out on top this year.  That starts at daylight and ends with quality pictures of our trophies.

Lets go out there this season win this thing.

BigMick

Woodsman4God

perrysbirds

If I aint out shooting deer
Im home drinking beer

briancady

Got it.  Hopefully we see our team at the top

Spellnj3

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr