Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Need Some Direction with a Mossberg 500 persuader.

Started by Sapperjawn, February 22, 2012, 09:41:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sapperjawn

So i have a Mossy 500 persuader, 20" barrel with the 20" mag. I cannot find a single barrel to fit the 20" mag besides Maverick 28". Would this suffice? I've shot shotguns for years and carried one in Iraq, but I've never hunted turkeys. Would a straight up 28" barrel get the job done with the right round? Or should i buy a smaller tube and a barrel to fit to put a choke on? Any input would help.

Dirtybird555

It depends on what you want out of it. I have a 28" maverick that I put together as a budget/loaner and I hunt with it alot. I like the gun and don't mind the length, But you should keep in mind that a 28" barrel is not as maneuverable as a 20-24" barrel. But on the other hand I think they point better when space allows. My shortest turkey gun has a 24" on it and I am more comfortable with my 28"s. Will it work? Yes. Just throw a choke in it, find a load it likes and kill turkeys!

Sapperjawn

Thanks Dirty. I feel like I'd be able to deal with the length. I just didn't want to come up short with shot grouping. I appreciate the input. Rock and roll.

Sapperjawn

Quote from: Dirtybird555 on February 22, 2012, 09:56:37 AM
It depends on what you want out of it. I have a 28" maverick that I put together as a budget/loaner and I hunt with it alot. I like the gun and don't mind the length, But you should keep in mind that a 28" barrel is not as maneuverable as a 20-24" barrel. But on the other hand I think they point better when space allows. My shortest turkey gun has a 24" on it and I am more comfortable with my 28"s. Will it work? Yes. Just throw a choke in it, find a load it likes and kill turkeys!

Dirty, are those Maverick 28" barrels threaded for a choke?

allaboutshooting

First of all welcome to OG. That 28" barrel should throw some excellent patterns. I would recommend that you "deep clean" the bore as well as your choke tube. I don't think you'll find that barrel to be a handicap in any way and with the correct choke and turkey load, it should be a real winner.

Best of luck this spring.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Sapperjawn

Quote from: allaboutshooting on February 22, 2012, 10:28:20 AM
First of all welcome to OG. That 28" barrel should throw some excellent patterns. I would recommend that you "deep clean" the bore as well as your choke tube. I don't think you'll find that barrel to be a handicap in any way and with the correct choke and turkey load, it should be a real winner.

Best of luck this spring.

Thanks,
Clark

Thanks Clark,
What does a "deep clean" entail? I've shot for fun and "business" my whole life. I've been around turkey hunting but no so indepth? i hope you guys go by, "No such thing as a stupid question" as well! 

davisd9

http://allaboutshooting.com/article_info.php?articles_id=282

Here is an article by Mr. Clark on how to deep clean.  I did this on my 835 and it helped alot.  Good luck!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Sapperjawn

Dirtybird555

Quote from: Sapperjawn on February 22, 2012, 10:27:48 AM
Quote from: Dirtybird555 on February 22, 2012, 09:56:37 AM

Dirty, are those Maverick 28" barrels threaded for a choke?
yes they have the accuchoke in them. It is the same as the browning invector, win choke. But is different from the invector+ or plus. You can watch eBay and gunbroker, I got a Indian creek invector choke for 20$ shipped. With a 28" barrel you will have good patterns, so I wouldn't worry about falling short in that area.