turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Thou Shall/ Long Range Shooting

Started by Longshanks, February 21, 2012, 05:14:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Longshanks

LABiologist and Gobble, you guys might want to take a close read at Old Gobblers Thou Shall with respect to taking long shots and the image of this website.  Your claims of not sticking to a yardage stick and touts of 65 yard shots are not productive to this site and it is apparent to most that while you think its only a matter of  "personal ethics" we all have a responsibility to the sport as turkey hunters. Especially since you are presenting disertations to the entire membersip of this website you might want to measure your words a little more carefully with respect to ethical issues. Ethics exist in every area and some of us live by them and some folks dont.  I like the re-write on the thread that you posted leaving out the statment about 65 yds being ethical. The rest is very informative. :thanks:

Gobble!

I have never claimed to shooting a bird at 65 yards. With my current setup that would be foolish. If my gun/shell/choke combo could produce a killing pattern (100+ in a 10" circle) at that distance then yes it is a shot I would take in the right situations.
If you feel it is not ethical to shoot a bird that far even with a killing pattern then those our your ethics not mine.

stinkpickle

HogBiologist

I Have never claimed to be able to shoot that far.  The post you so effectively shut down was merely informational in respects to new hunters needing to test their equipment.  Yes I put the term 65 yards in there.  I have never had a gun pattern past 45 yards.  I do not condone long shots for hunters who do not know their equipment.  So please get off your high horse and read the OP again.  I in no way promoted shooting out to long ranges.  Rather, I promoted that hunters should test the limits of their equipment before just trotting off to the woods.  So before you jump my tail......  Get the Plank out of your eye.
Certified Wildlife Biologist

Longshanks

Quote from: Gobble! on February 21, 2012, 05:26:52 PM
I have never claimed to shooting a bird at 65 yards. With my current setup that would be foolish. If my gun/shell/choke combo could produce a killing pattern (100+ in a 10" circle) at that distance then yes it is a shot I would take in the right situations.
If you feel it is not ethical to shoot a bird that far even with a killing pattern then those our your ethics not mine.

Im quite aware that our ethics are not the same..you simply dont have allot of experience turkey hunting to make the statements that you do.  Not to mention that fact that both of you guys are supporting this when neither one of your guns will pattern at that distance. Stick with your own experience.  Many folks seem to make these hypothetical long shot statements without any regard to hunting situations, wind,  obstruction and the fact that you are shooting at a live animal that has the capability of moving and often does.  Thats too bad what you are guys are promoting.

HogBiologist

QuoteThats too bad what you are guys are promoting.

All I was promoting was testing equipment, where in the world did you get that I was promoting long shots.  My post was completely the opposite.  It was about knowing the limits, not just taking the word of the Long Shooters on here.  You called me out on something I never said nor implied.  

Longshanks

Quote from: LaBiologist on February 21, 2012, 05:37:27 PM
QuoteThats too bad what you are guys are promoting.

All I was promoting was testing equipment, where in the world did you get that I was promoting long shots.  My post was completely the opposite.  It was about knowing the limits, not just taking the word of the Long Shooters on here.  You called me out on something I never said nor implied.  

Its a little late to start crawfishing after your "65 yd ethical shot" statement.

HogBiologist

I am in no way crawfishing.  I stand by the fact that if someone has spent years perfecting their setup and are confident in the abilities, that range is not unethical.  What is unethical is bashing members who dont agree with your ethics.  It is unethical to pick up a gun and a box of Hevishot and attempt a shot at 65 yards.  Plain and simple.  Same reason it is unethical to pick up a 300 WSM and pop a shot off at a deer 500 yds away, without ever shooting the gun or practicing past 100 yards.

Longshanks

Quote from: LaBiologist on February 21, 2012, 05:44:47 PM
I am in no way crawfishing.  I stand by the fact that if someone has spent years perfecting their setup and are confident in the abilities, that range is not unethical.  What is unethical is bashing members who dont agree with your ethics.  It is unethical to pick up a gun and a box of Hevishot and attempt a shot at 65 yards.  Plain and simple.  Same reason it is unethical to pick up a 300 WSM and pop a shot off at a deer 500 yds away, without ever shooting the gun or practicing past 100 yards.

Thats too bad that you think that (65yds ethical) and that you are typing up informative threads for new members of this website. The idea that a hunting situation is a little/allot different than shooting off of a bench at paper is totally not part of your thinking.

Deputy 14

HogBiologist

Again there you go thinking for me again.  In what way am I promoting newbies taking long shots.  You Sir just seem to like stiring the pot which is another rule that OG has.  I dont shoot past 45 yards because I dont have equipment that will do this.  The Farthest i have ever shot was 45 yards.  I am in no way encourraging newbies shoot that far.  Where are you getting that from?  All I am encourraging is testing the limits of your equipment.  And just because some folks can achieve that distance, you automatically assume that I am promoting long shots.  

Longshanks

I would stick with yor own experience. 45 max. Your statement about 65 yds being ethical is based on what? What you've heard? Its certainly not your experience in the woods. You sent the wrong message with that statement to new hunters and newbies to this website. Newbies is who you addressed that thread to. You are sticking to that statement and that's too bad.

HogBiologist

But I never encouraged them to take long shots.

Quote2:  Now that you have a reference (30 yards), you can start to back the target up and repeat this process.  Back up to 35 yards and repeat.  Move back to 40 yards, repeat.  When you stop getting 100 pellets in the most dense portion of your pattern (10" circle) you have surpassed your effective yardage.  It does not matter if you shoot lead or Heavier Than Lead (HTL).  

Where in that do I promote long shots.  Just because I used the words 65 yards, if you would have read the post before jumping to conclusions, does not mean I was encouraging them.

goblr77

Ibtl

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sugarray

I'm a new hunter, this is only my 4th year.  It in no way made me think I can shoot 65 yds, even though I pattern my gun that far, and shoot TSS that I know will kill that far.

Seems to me like you stirred this up using your opinion as the gospel.  Ethics is different to each one, when we start telling other what to believe, we are no better than China.  It's just like Sunday hunting.  The only one who will judge me is the Lord, not anyone else, in relation to Sunday hunting.

Promoting long range shooting in turkey hunting with a "SHOTGUN" is kinda like defending the outhouse. No matter what you have to say about it or how you dress it up..it "still stinks" . If long range shooting is what a person wants..then go to Texas and shoot them with a rifle under a feeder..but folks on this website, for the most part,  seem to respect the art of turkey hunting and the wild turkey. Promoting long range shooting with a SHOTGUN..promotes the crippling of turkeys which is a disgrace to the sport.

What difference does a shotgun make?  Killing pattern with killing penetration placed effectively will kill ethically.  Same for shotguns as for rifles.