OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

All Tungsten Shot is going Up and Why

Started by allaboutshooting, February 20, 2012, 09:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

allaboutshooting

I have frankly hesitated just a bit to write this but current conditions seem to make it necessary.

Some of you may be aware that the price of raw tungsten has just about doubled in the last 30 days. That has already had an effect and will have an even more profound effect on the price and availability of shotshells that many of us shoot.

At least one shotshell manufacturer has eliminated one shotshell that they had planned to introduce and produce for 2012. Don't look for those 20 gauge Winchester Xtended Range Hi-Density #6 shot shells that are featured in their 2012 catalog, they won't be produced.

We have already seen prices rise at both the wholesale and retail level and quite possibly, we "ain't seen nothing yet" as far as that goes.

I think it is necessary that we understand the situation and that the shotshell manufacturers have very little to with these price increases. Some may choose to forgo production, as at least one already has, and we may not be able to find the shells we want or need.

I suspect that some shotshell manufacturers have held the line on their prices, despite several price increases for their components. They can only do that for so long and I suspect that with the recent increases, it's no longer possible.

We will probably also see some retailers or wholesalers mark up their existing stock. That seems to happen at times. If they have seen new price sheets, they know what's coming with their next order.

This is not good news for us but is a reality of life, just like the almost $4.00 per gallon that I paid for regular unleaded gasoline just a few hours ago.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Philippe

I knew about it because of my investments in metals :drool:, but then again, i watched my favorite GS literally retag every box of hevi-13 brand shells in the store today. Back to lead shells i go!

CASH

I understand it as the ammo suppliers can't do anything about what the market does.  What ticks me off though, is when they mark up the prices on existing stock.  We know the new prices weren't paid for what's already on the shelf.

Of course I don't own a business, so I also know nothing about that end either.
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

Tom Foolery

Quote from: CASH on February 21, 2012, 05:47:10 AM
I understand it as the ammo suppliers can't do anything about what the market does.  What ticks me off though, is when they mark up the prices on existing stock.  We know the new prices weren't paid for what's already on the shelf.

Our little gun store does that all the time.  They lost some buisness because people would come in and there would be 3 or 4 stickers on top of one another.  I saw a box of 30-30 ammo and peeled off the stickers, $13.99, $16.99, $18.99, $23.99.  So they had marked up a box $10 while it sat on the shelf.  Now they make sure the old stickers are pulled off first.

Spring Creek Calls

Thanks for the info Clark. I was looking forward to trying the 20 ga. Win HD 6's.

:smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Ranman

Man that sucks. Good thing I have some stocked away.

stinkpickle

Just like gas...it's worth as much as it'll cost to replace.

BrowningGuy88

I have enough stocked away now for at least 10 years of limits for the 20 gauge. I have enough for about 6 years limits with the 12, so I think I am good.

CASH

Quote from: stinkpickle on February 21, 2012, 11:44:48 AM

Just like gas...it's worth as much as it'll cost to replace.

This is true.
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

allaboutshooting

It looks like a good time to stock up on shotshells, especially if there's an "old price" source available but even if there's not, I don't see any price relief in the near future.

The increased price may also really limit the sources. I suspect that some retailers will feel that their customers just won't pay the price or they frankly may not be able of afford the cost of stocking a variety of those products.

A good time to buy may be now.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

TauntoHawk

currently have of Hevi shot at $3.60 per shell

30 shells: 3-2-6
2 shells: 3-2-MB
1 shell: 3-2-7

Guess i better hope my hands stay steady under pressure and thats enough to check patterns and tag out for the next few seasons

price goes any higher Ill be storing it in the safe and leaving cash in a card board box  :begging:
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

BrowningGuy88

Quote from: TauntoHawk on February 21, 2012, 01:56:58 PM

Guess i better hope my hands stay steady under pressure and thats enough to check patterns and tag out for the next few seasons

price goes any higher Ill be storing it in the safe and leaving cash in a card board box  :begging:

My wife said I should not shoot mine and then sell it next year at three times what I paid for it and buy a new gun. Unfortunately I would have to buy more at the new prices!

stinkpickle

Quote from: Daman on February 21, 2012, 02:00:43 PM
Quote from: TauntoHawk on February 21, 2012, 01:56:58 PM

My wife said I should not shoot mine and then sell it next year at three times what I paid for it and buy a new gun. Unfortunately I would have to buy more at the new prices!

Buy a nice bow with the money and start flinging arrows at them instead.   :D

Devastator

glad i stocked up on fed hw 7's for the 10 and 20.got 7 box's of 10 and 6 1/2 box's of 20 sitting here.by the time i use all them up i will have at least 1 for myself lolol.

chatterbox

I have 9.5 boxes of Hevi-13 3.5-2.25-6's (48 shells)
Those 4 boxes of Hevi-13 I aquired with an accidental shipment are gonna come in handy I think!