News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

410 turkey gun

Started by schuylkillspur, February 20, 2012, 10:27:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bird

Quote from: RAJ on February 26, 2012, 08:41:35 AM
There is nothing wrong about using the .410 gauge . A fellow who has now passed away carried a .410 pump with  lead shot and when he called one
within range it always looked just as dead  in the back of the truck as any other.
One thing though. He enjoyed the show and frequently called in birds that did not strut or gobble so they did not get shot. Lots of them never got close enough to shoot no matter how much gobbling or strutting they did.
One does severely limit his distance and needs extra restraint when using this shell.
If CHALLENGE is your middle name I applaud you for this shall be one.

X2

Michigander

I used some Winchester 3'' 7 1/2's out of an old 410 that had a polychoke on it. It threw a pattern to about 25 yards, if I remember correctly (been a couple years). I ended up only having to shoot about 13 though. Kinda funny to hear that little pop, instead of BOOM!!!

Good luck!

Neill_Prater

I'm thinking smaller shot, even in lead, to increase pattern density, because the shot is going to be at less distance anyway. The only reason any of us used larger lead shot back in the day was to increase the effective killing range. If you are going to stay under 25 yards, I would guess 7 1/2 lead would do quite well, given a tight enough pattern for multiple hits.

schuylkillspur

I have killed birds before with 7 1/2 lead shot, I don't know how many people remember the old Federal 3" 2oz 7.5 loads I downed a few birds with them when they were avaliable, and contrary to what some ammo Manfacturers claim it can be done @ 35+ yds, I killed this KS Rio @ app 35yds with a 16ga 1 1/8 load of 7.5.
You hav nothing w/o FAITH

224tth

I patterned my 500 mossberg 410 couple of years ago.  I used 3" remington Express long range 7.5.  It went anywhere from upper 60 to lower 70's in the 10" circle at 25 yards.  I tried #6 shot first shot and it was VERY plain that that would NEVER work density wise.

thanks
224TTH

WildTigerTrout

Quote from: BrownTrout on February 26, 2012, 07:50:54 AM
Quote from: Deputy 14 on February 20, 2012, 01:52:33 PM
Kinda like throwing a #22 dry fly for a 4 pound brown trout. Good luck  :icon_thumright:

Nice.........another crazy fella like myself.    :agreed::icon_thumright: :help:

Tight lines brother.
Better yet a size 24 Trico!  :lol:
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

BrownTrout

Man, Fallen Springs gets one heck of a Trico hatch  At least it used to, I haven't been down there in years.  Last time I was there everything was posted.
Who is John Galt?

One of the most ridiculous defenses of foreign aid is that it is a very small part of our national income. If the average American set fire to a five-dollar bill, it would be an even smaller percentage of his annual income. But everyone would consider him foolish for doing it. -- Thomas Sowell in 'Barbarians Inside the Gates'

reflexl

Sounds like an interesting quest. I killed my first 28 gauge bird last year at 29 yards. I don't see why you couldn't kill old tom if you could get him close. reflexl

Longshanks

Quote from: schuylkillspur on February 26, 2012, 12:38:49 PM
I would like to thank everyone for there replies and Comments, I totally agree with RAJ. The challange of the Gauge slam is to take a wild Turkey with all the major gauges which requires you to get closer to your quary as the gauges get smaller.

Good luck.  Ive seen allot of turkeys killed with archery equipment but shooting them with a .410 seems like a bad idea. I guess if you are bored with turkey hunting and just trying to make it more difficult..that will do it. Spending money and time on a short range shotgun is not something i would be interested in .  Ive never reached the point in turkey hunting where is said "this doesnt seem to be much of a challenge"   :anim_25:

schuylkillspur

Longshanks I'm not bored with Turkey hunting I still like to Hunt Turkeys more than anything else, I also like to hunt with a longbow and a flintlock I guess I'm into challenges and after 140 bird I would like to try to harvest them in different ways, I'm also taking my longbow to Kansas this year and if I can fill my tag with that maybe a flintlock shotgun next? Bored NO!

Longshanks

Looking for a less lethal way to kill them just increases your chance of losing them. Ive killed about the same numbers and I still choose the most efficient lethal way of harvesting turkeys. I like to let turkeys get really close.. if they will... before i shoot them but decreasing the lethality of the weapon to a .410 doesnt make much sense unless it is a child or woman hunting that needs a smaller gun and even with them 20guage is about as light as i will go. Looking for titles, accolades, and "slams" is just about ego..not my thing. Ive killed several whitetails in the P&Y to B&C score range but im not running to the scorebooks and record clubs everytime i kill one.  Not why i hunt..To each his own..:anim_25:

schuylkillspur

Longshanks I admire your dedication to the animals you hunt. I do the best I can when I hunt not to loose or wound a animal, but inevitably if you hunt long enough it will happen no matter what type of weapon you use. Ego NO, if it were about numbers I would just bait - poach, set traps etc etc. Like you said to each his own. Happy hunting.

jakesdad

I have considered buying a .410 for my oldest to use this fall/next spring(wont be old enough this spring)I have thought about shooting 3" hevi shot in #7.5 out of it.MacksPW has them for sale I believe.I would like to kill a bird with a .410 myself,just for the added challenge.I dont think using a .410 is "less lethal" if used within it limitations.If I can get a bird to 20yds or so with the 2 of us in a pop up,I see no reason for the .410 not to be used.plus I can get some pretty light loads he can use to practice with.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Longshanks

Quote from: schuylkillspur on February 28, 2012, 03:55:14 PM
Longshanks I admire your dedication to the animals you hunt. I do the best I can when I hunt not to loose or wound a animal, but inevitably if you hunt long enough it will happen no matter what type of weapon you use. Ego NO, if it were about numbers I would just bait - poach, set traps etc etc. Like you said to each his own. Happy hunting.

Good luck to you this season! It's almost here, been listening to several gobblers the last couple of mornings. May the beards be long and the spurs be sharp for you this year. :boon:

Longshanks

quote author=jakesdad link=topic=18462.msg213866#msg213866 date=1330466148]
I have considered buying a .410 for my oldest to use this fall/next spring(wont be old enough this spring)I have thought about shooting 3" hevi shot in #7.5 out of it.MacksPW has them for sale I believe.I would like to kill a bird with a .410 myself,just for the added challenge.I dont think using a .410 is "less lethal" if used within it limitations.If I can get a bird to 20yds or so with the 2 of us in a pop up,I see no reason for the .410 not to be used.plus I can get some pretty light loads he can use to practice with.
[/quote]

Post up some pics this spring..love to see them. :fud: