turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Old Remington Hevi 13 vs Hevi 13

Started by agturkey, February 20, 2012, 12:50:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agturkey

I came across some old 3 1 5/8 6 remington hevi 13 how does it compare to todays 3 inch Hevi 13 rounds.  I may be willing to part of these 7 boxes for xtended range 3.5 6

decoykrvr

The "Old" Green Remington 3", !5/8 oz., 1225 fps in both 5's and 6's, which is 12 g/cc, shot great in several of my turkey guns and accounted for a lot of gobblers.  I was like a lot of other turkey hunters who had a "lead mentality" and initially assumed that you needed 4's or 5's in the Hevi-shot loads to kill turkeys.  The changes and advances in turkey loads over the last 25 years, or so, has been nothing short of phenomenal.  I've still got 10-12 boxes of the Activ 3", 21/4 oz, nickle-plated lead 4's, 5's, and 6's which, at the time, was the best turkey load which I had ever shot.  Then came the "Old" green Remington loads which thumped birds followed by the Polywad Hevi-Shot "Old Whites" which were in a class by themselves as turkey killers. Environ-Metal, the suppliers of Hevi-Shot,  started loading turkey shells and, IMO, initially produced some real duds in both the red and green hulls.  Now we have, not without some previous controversy due to component changes, the EM Hevi-13 gold hull 3" and 31/2" turkey loads which out perform all other turkey loads in several of my guns.  All the the shells which I have mentioned will kill turkeys, and I would hunt tomorrow with any of them, except maybe the EM red and green loadings.  Turkey shells, guns, and chokes have all evolved, in most cases, for the better.  I have failed to mention the Winchester HTL offerings since I really havn't personally evaluated them and the Federal Flight-control loads w/Heavyweight for just the opposite reason.  I've spent a lot of money on the Federal HW and tried a bunch of different chokes in several guns, but have never gotten the consistency or patterns that I can get out of the current EM loads.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: agturkey on February 20, 2012, 12:50:12 AM
I came across some old 3 1 5/8 6 remington hevi 13 how does it compare to todays 3 inch Hevi 13 rounds.  I may be willing to part of these 7 boxes for xtended range 3.5 6

It is a good shell but does not meet the standards that most of us expect today from Hevi-13 shotshells.

Thanks,
Clark

P.S. I still have several cases of those shells.
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

surehuntsalot

I still have a stash of the old green Remington Hevishot #6's in 20ga and that is mostly what I still hunt with in my 20ga
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

K9Doc

I would use them for squirrel hunting. Seriously, have you priced good copper plated lead 6s lately?
Last box i bought last year cost over $20 bucks for a box of 25 Fed. Hi velocity copperplated 6s.
I i mention we eat squirrels in Arkansas and Mississippi? :fud:
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.