turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Why all the tight patterns?

Started by Grobec1, February 19, 2012, 12:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grobec1

Just wondering why does everyone try to get the tightest pattern @ 40 yds. Where I hunt it is thick and a 40 yd. shot is very rare. Wouldn't it be better to use a more open choke in these situations? If I was hunting an area with open woods or a lot of fields those tight patterns would be needed, but what are the chances of a miss @ 20 yds. with a tight choke pattern?

mnbirdbuster

Yeah, the whole 40yds as a  measuring stick theory i believe goes back to the old days of lead(which i still use once in a while), where a 40yd shot was considered a maximum range! The NWTF uses 40yds in their still shoots as well i believe! The very, very tight patterns that some guns throw do result in misses of close range birds im sure! I consider myself very lucky to have never missed a bird with what i consider a tight patterning gun!!!

Tom Foolery

Most of where I hunt the shots could be from 5yds to 50yds depending on the woods and terrain.  I get very few days a year in the woods and I want to know that I can be effective at 40-50.  I have a good set of rifle sights for the close up work and I have shot my gun at 10 and 20yds so I know it is on at those ranges.  I have killed birds from 15yds to 49yds, if they are in close I hold a little lower. 

Grobec1

K9Doc

I like gobbler head mashed potatoes! :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Any given spring I'm in 7-10 states hunting turkeys.  I shoot tight patterning guns because they give me the ability to increase my chances of success with hung up and field birds.

Some, like yourself, see sacrifice in employing such patterns at close range but I try to minimize the disadvantages and challenges presented by by changing where I aim if a bird gets ultra close.

I have never encountered a region or locality in my travels where a 40 yard shot opportunity was consistently unachievable.

Richyb

Five O

flayer

:OGturkeyhead:all people don't have a lot of woods in south ga. mostly fields so these guys and gals like to pattern there guns for the long shot.

Grobec1

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on February 19, 2012, 06:11:02 PM
Any given spring I'm in 7-10 states hunting turkeys.  I shoot tight patterning guns because they give me the ability to increase my chances of success with hung up and field birds.

Some, like yourself, see sacrifice in employing such patterns at close range but I try to minimize the disadvantages and challenges presented by by changing where I aim if a bird gets ultra close.

I have never encountered a region or locality in my travels where a 40 yard shot opportunity was consistently unachievable.

Everyone's hunting area is different. Where my property is located there is a lot of cutover and mixed hardwood and pines that was logged 10 years ago. No fields where we hunt except for the camp yard and a narrow power line that cuts thru one corner. There are a few spots in the hardwoods where a 30 yd shot is possible but I hunt where the birds are hanging out. With our mild winters down south the green up comes early.

gersus

Sure would make hunting cheaper not doing everything possible for the long range tight patterns. Cheaper shells, factory chokes...  :you_rock:

WyoHunter

If you miss at close range regardless of the size of the pattern it's the shooter's fault. If you use a scope or red dot you shouldn't have a problem UNLESS you flinch!
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

decoykrvr

I try not to get mesmerized and let turkeys get too close before I shoot. But if they do get too close, I let them walk out a ways ,if at all possible, before I cluck at them hard, stop them, and get their head up before I take the shot.  Of course, It doesn't always work that way, since I sometimes get too excited and forget my plan and what I'm doing.

gobbler74

I prefer tighter patterns for the knockout punch. I also dont like eating pellets from spread out patterns.   
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

mightyjoeyoung

This is why.  I want turkey head mush, not cracked teeth from biting down on a hevi shot pellet in the breast.  This was 38 yards with the "Little Monster" 20 gauge...
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.