OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Why all the tight patterns?

Started by Grobec1, February 19, 2012, 12:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirtybird555

When I first started turkey hunting, I had a 20lb double beard gobbler hang up 43 yards away on the other side of a large mudhole in the middle of a cutover road. At that time my effective range was about 25-30 yards. I had to watch him for over and hour, and could not get him to come around the mudhole. I finally got him 3 weeks later, but From then on all my guns will shoot 40yrds or I will work on them till they do.

hookedspur

Quote from: gobbler74 on February 20, 2012, 09:10:33 AM
I prefer tighter patterns for the knockout punch. I also dont like eating pellets from spread out patterns.   
My thought as well , :agreed:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

BrowningGuy88

I get to hunt if I am lucky 15 times in  season due to work and family. I have 5 gobbler tags and I intend to fill them! I dont want to watch a tom at 45 steps turn and strut off while I think man I wish I had a 45 yard gun.

sippy cup

I like them tight but not to tight so when hes 15 yards or closer its not like shootin a rifle were you have to be dead on :drool:
beware of longdale legend

stinkpickle

Quote from: decoykrvr on February 20, 2012, 03:29:27 AM
I try not to get mesmerized and let turkeys get too close before I shoot. But if they do get too close, I let them walk out a ways ,if at all possible, before I cluck at them hard, stop them, and get their head up before I take the shot.  Of course, It doesn't always work that way, since I sometimes get too excited and forget my plan and what I'm doing.

Agreed.  It's always easier to get the turkey to move away for a farther shot than it is to get him to come closer.    ;)