turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

another heavy question

Started by longspur, February 21, 2011, 11:33:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longspur

2 1/4oz mag blend 1200fps.  2 1/4oz #6 1090fps. whats the difference. And don't say 110fps :lol:

Chilly

I asked this question to the MidSouth guys at the NWTF convention.... His answer was that they used two different propellants.... Due to being more shot QTY per oz in the magblend vs the #6's or any other straight shot...
Can't kill'em from the couch!!!!

BigPeck215

both shells have around the same number of pellets per shell at around 450, other than different pellet sizes the only major difference is the extra 110fps

longspur

when I was shooting lead my gun seemed to like the faster loads better. Only htl I've tried is 3 1/2 - 2 1/4 - 6. thats why I was wondering. I've got an IC on the way for my 835 and trying to figure which load to try first.

longspur

is the speed of the 7's same as 6's

Gobble!

bowhunter32

ive killed a few with the #5's @1090...using the mag blends this year im sure it"ll blow his head clean off!!! :lol:

FANMAN

Quote from: BigPeck215 on February 21, 2011, 11:53:51 AM
both shells have around the same number of pellets per shell at around 450, other than different pellet sizes the only major difference is the extra 110fps
I've shot both of these loads,and if the pellet count is near the same,than the 110fps must be enough of an increase to blow the pattern apart..the 6's were way better in my gun.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Most guys that try the mag blends aren't getting the patterns that they get with straight 6's.  But there isn't as many shot either.  But the extra 100fps is irrelevent if the pattern density isn't there.  That's why I like the 7's in Hevi-13.  They will kill farther than I need to shoot and the density is there.  I like the 6's too, but the 7's give me a lot more hits in the 10" and 20" circles.  And they still have the punch to kill way out there. 

pennyrilehunter

Quote from: longspur on February 21, 2011, 12:40:36 PM
when I was shooting lead my gun seemed to like the faster loads better. Only htl I've tried is 3 1/2 - 2 1/4 - 6. thats why I was wondering. I've got an IC on the way for my 835 and trying to figure which load to try first.
Last year my 835 with IC .675 shot the 3.5-2.25-blends slightly better than the 3.5-2.25-6 (5-10%) and the velocity was significantly more.  I think the 1200 fps is on the conservative side (Better get a good aftermarket recoil pad if you shoot the blends).  The blends also appeared to have far less trajectory drop from 40 to 50 yards.  The 3" H13 both 6 and blend did not shoot nearly as well as the 3.5.  The 3-2-blend was horrible to say the least.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: pennyrilehunter on February 21, 2011, 07:06:25 PM
Quote from: longspur on February 21, 2011, 12:40:36 PM
Last year my 835 with IC .675 shot the 3.5-2.25-blends slightly better than the 3.5-2.25-6 (5-10%) and the velocity was significantly more.  I think the 1200 fps is on the conservative side (Better get a good aftermarket recoil pad if you shoot the blends).  The blends also appeared to have far less trajectory drop from 40 to 50 yards.  The 3" H13 both 6 and blend did not shoot nearly as well as the 3.5.  The 3-2-blend was horrible to say the least.

Do you have any patterns to show us?  I would like to see them. 

pennyrilehunter

I'll dig them up and try to get some pics.  May be later on tonight.

Fullfan

I had the same results with the 3" blends. I could not get them to shoot very well. But the 3.5" out of my X-2 and the .670 Rhino was a very good even pattern at 40. If I remember right I was getting 230ish in the 10" at 40.

I ran the 3" through my 11-87 sps-t, Mad max, IC, SSX and a Briley super turkey. I could not get anything over 180 in the 10" at 40.
Don't gobble at me...

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: pennyrilehunter on February 21, 2011, 07:47:22 PM
I'll dig them up and try to get some pics.  May be later on tonight.

Thank you.  I too have a .675 Indian Creek BDS choke that I hopefully will test tomorrow since I got rained out today.  I also plan on testing a Tru-Glo .670 so I can see for myself if this choke will live up to all the hype I have heard. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

Plan on shooting about 4 boxes of Hevi-13 tomorrow.  I'm hoping for about 60 degree temp.  

Well just checked the weather and it says 44 for a high tomorrow.  I may have to wait.  I like to test in 60 degree weather that way I give the ammo a fairshake.