turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Wal-Mart Shell Selection

Started by R AJ, February 15, 2012, 10:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R AJ

I went by the Monroeville , Al store this week and they had 12 gauge shells i n   lead . Almost every box was a #4 or #5 whether they be Winchester or whatever. They may have had 6 boxes of Win HV 3-1 3/4 #6s. The 20 gauge selection was Win XX #5s or Rem Nitro #5s your choice. I know that every year the only shells you see on the shelf three weeks after season starts is #4 or #5 . Maybe that is when they make up orders for next year and decide to throw in a few #6s just in case somebody might want a box.
Go figure!

WildSpur

Same here in Pittsburgh, pa.  Everything in 12 guage was #4 or #5.  Though I wanted 6's, Walmart was $7 cheaper per box compared to gander mountain.  So I will be playing with 5's.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

houser52

Here in my NC town they had Winchester HV #6 and #5 on the shelf so I bought a box of 3" #6 to try. They also had Rem Nitros on the shelf too.

surehuntsalot

I have never seen a box of 20ga #6's in anything in any of my local wal marts  99% #5's
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Crappiepro

Here in Indiana at the Terre Haute store, Ive been buying Winchester HV in 3.5 #6 and #5, and 3" in the same for $9.97 abox on clearence all winter, they've been slowly goin back up in price and I bought 2 boxes of Win HV 3.5 #6 the other night for $12.47 abox.
Thats seems odd to me because at the end of season they'll have 30 boxes of the Winchester High Velosity 3.5 #6 and 3" #6 on clearence and will sell out early on the 4's and 5's before seasons over.
As far selection goes, I 'd like to see some other brands besides the Remington Nitro's and the silver boxes of the Winchester added to the shelves.

Tom Foolery

This sounds stupid, but look behind the sales counter because here they keep all their 6's there.  The 4's and 5's are out with the turkey stuff but they 6's are kept behind the clerk....... weird.

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: Tom Foolery on February 16, 2012, 12:42:25 PM
This sounds stupid, but look behind the sales counter because here they keep all their 6's there.  The 4's and 5's are out with the turkey stuff but they 6's are kept behind the clerk....... weird.

Never saw THAT before.  I find most employees at the Wal Mart sporting goods counter wouldn't know one turkey load from another...  I did however pick up a buncj of the XX 3" 1 7/8 ounce 6's and a few boxes of 3.5" 2 ounce HV 6s for cheap last night.  The Erie Gander wants bw 9 and 11 bucks (double) more a box than wal mart!  Screw that!
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

joshb311

Quote from: RAJ on February 15, 2012, 10:12:09 PM
I went by the Monroeville , Al store this week and they had 12 gauge shells i n   lead . Almost every box was a #4 or #5 whether they be Winchester or whatever. They may have had 6 boxes of Win HV 3-1 3/4 #6s. The 20 gauge selection was Win XX #5s or Rem Nitro #5s your choice. I know that every year the only shells you see on the shelf three weeks after season starts is #4 or #5 . Maybe that is when they make up orders for next year and decide to throw in a few #6s just in case somebody might want a box.
Go figure!

WalMart selection here is horrible as well. If you only buy from walmart and shoot #6 then you're gonna be shooting Win HV 3" or 3 1/2". No alternates here. Everything else is #4 or #5. Even the selection of those leaves a fair amount to be desired. Looks like a trip to BassPro is in order.

vaturkey

IMO The Winchester Supreme ( Black Shell) in 3 1/2 " 2 oz. # 5's are real turkey killer lead shells. Every year after turkey season I go to my local Wal Mart stores & buy them for 5 to 6 dollars per box. ( 10 Shells)  .                :newmascot:
Vaturkey

dlquinn

Only one Walmart had turkey loads out last week and they were Win HV 3" 1.75oz #4's...so I bought a box.

Would have preferred those in #5's though  :help:
NRA-STAND AND FIGHT

Tom Foolery

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on February 18, 2012, 09:57:39 AM
Quote from: Tom Foolery on February 16, 2012, 12:42:25 PM

Never saw THAT before.  I find most employees at the Wal Mart sporting goods counter wouldn't know one turkey load from another...  I did however pick up a buncj of the XX 3" 1 7/8 ounce 6's and a few boxes of 3.5" 2 ounce HV 6s for cheap last night.  The Erie Gander wants bw 9 and 11 bucks (double) more a box than wal mart!  Screw that!

Yep, ours don't know the difference either.  When I went up the other night there were only 4's and 5's out with all the turkey gear.  I looked behind the counter just browsing and there were all of their 6's.  Winchesters and Remington Nitro 6's were all behind the counter.  No idea why.

mightyjoeyoung

Well, after picking up some of the HV 3.5" 6's and XX 3" 6's, I was looking around Rogers site store today and found the older Federal Premium Grand Slam  MagShok 3.5"2/6's at 1300 fps for 8.99/box.  I thought they only had them in 4's so when I saw that I immediately bought 2 boxes.  Came to a little over 24 bucks shipped...not bad considering it's one of the BEST pb loads ever put out and wal mart cost me 25 plus tax for 2 boxes of the 3.5" HV 6s...
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

shuey270

Walmart here stocks #5 and 6 shot and I like the 4's!

devin4484

Win hv 3.5 2oz no 4,5,& 6's for 12.47 a box here.  Heck ya I keep my ammo box stocked up with them.  Especially no 5's, my go to load every year.

trkehunr93

My  walmart finally has some but mostly 4's and 5's in Rem. and Winchester.  Even some 2 3/4"  Win. 4's.  They have Win Supreme HV 3" 5's and 6's behind the glass case.  Don't know why they don't have them all out together.