Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Be thinking about the hunt in the Big Swamp....counting down the days

Started by savduck, February 14, 2012, 09:40:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

savduck

Everybody coming to the hunt in April be starting to think about licensing and what gear to bring. I would suggest snake boots or rubber boots. Bring your Thermo Cell and GPS....normal turkey gear. Our weather is acting weird this season. Usually warm, but I would bring a light camp jacket just in case. If your thinking about mounting a bird.....a cooler big enough to carry him home.

Remember Im licensed in SC and GA, Jim only has his GA license. Most of the property is in GA. Be thinking about what state you want to chase them in.

As the time grows more near. Ill hit yall with some more info.
Georgia Boy

TRKYHTR

RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

cannonball

I have a pair of Muck Woody Armour snake boots. I usually spray down with Deet. Is this enough or do I need to get a Thermo Cell? I know the mosquitoes are going to bad down there in the swamp and I will get one if necessary. Are the tics bad too? I don't have a GPS, I was hoping we were teaming up and I could hunt with someone who knew the place or had a GPS. This rookie needs all the help I can get, LOL. I would really like to kill my first bird on this hunt. I saw one of the Bushnell Back Tracks at Academy sports and was wondering if they were any good. I would like to hunt GA (more land) and only have to buy one license if possible. I have my vacation all ready approved. I am taking off Wednesday and driving down there. I will hunt Thursday, Friday, and Saturday and come home on Sunday. Can't wait for the hunt!

savduck

Those boots will work Eddie. No you dont need to buy a GPS I have them, and Jim could probably walk that swamp blind folded...........been hunting it over 50 years. We are teaming up. Probably groups of 3. Craig at Mudpuppi will probably want to join us, figured yall would want to meet him. Deet works just fine. Ticks arent usually to bad. Im putting in my request this week. Ill be out there Wednesday finding birds even if no one comes in to hunt that day. Im fired up.

Joe, wish you could make it too. when you do come down....thats where ill take you. Just one of those places you have to hunt. Not much land left around like it.

Here is GA license info
http://georgiawildlife.com/

Here is SC info
http://www.dnr.sc.gov/hunting.html
Georgia Boy

drenalinld

savduck

Georgia Boy

Houndstooth Game Calls

Now that's the two hooters I am talking bout!! Cannonball get you a gps buddy I use mine all the time in forestry and hunting if you need some help let me know!!!

drenalinld

Del does she clean ducks? What would she look like in Bottomland? Camp cook maybe?

I have an expensive gps but my iPhone works just as good.

savduck

Georgia Boy

cannonball

Quote from: Houndstooth Game Calls on February 14, 2012, 10:26:30 PM
Now that's the two hooters I am talking bout!! Cannonball get you a gps buddy I use mine all the time in forestry and hunting if you need some help let me know!!!

I might need some help on finding one. I would like something easy to use. There are only two directions here in East Tennessee...uphill and downhill.

savduck

i have a Lowrance and Garmin. I prefer the lowrance, but both of mine are older.

The newer Garmins are tied into goggle earth. you can download you points onto google earth map. Pretty dang sweet.
Georgia Boy

drenalinld

My Garmin works like that but so does my iPhone with google app.

jbrown

Del, I love THAT color red...I thinkin about grillin or fryin quail one day for lunch.

savduck

Georgia Boy

drenalinld