turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Tell me about a BPS. 3 1/2", 12ga.

Started by I hate turkeys, February 14, 2012, 05:56:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I hate turkeys

I'm looking at a a 3 1/2" BPS with the invector plus choke so the barrel is backbored. What are you shooting (choke, shells & barrel) how does it shoot.
"There is no such thing as to much gun"
Elmier Keith

allaboutshooting

Quote from: I hate turkeys on February 14, 2012, 05:56:05 PM
I'm looking at a a 3 1/2" BPS with the invector plus choke so the barrel is backbored. What are you shooting (choke, shells & barrel) how does it shoot.

I've owned and still own several BPSs with both 3" and 3.5" chambers. All of them have been shooters.

Regardless of the chamber, they all seem to prefer the 3" shells to the 3.5" shells. The best factory shell, most consistent performer, in my experience, is the 3" Hevi-13 "Bronze" shell with 2 oz. of either #6 or #7 shot.

I see excellent results with 2 different turkey chokes in all those guns. The SSX and the Hevi-13 turkey choke, while quite different in design, both work exceptionally well in them.

I'd be happy to take my BPSs with either choke to the woods as long as I had the H-13 shells.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Rockhound

mine shoots 3 in and deadly at 50 with fed flight control

K9Doc

I dont care much for the New BPS guns.  They are not nearly the same quality as they were a few years back.  I bought a BPS 12 ga. 3.5" Stalker in 1990.  It was well made and hence, heavy.  It was built to last.  Not so sure now about the quality.  Found one just today at gun store for $260 bucks!!  I handled the old school gun and then picked up the new BPS and the quality was heads and tails better in the old BPS.  Very sad.  I would have bought that sucker, but the choke tube is frozen solid.  Not sure I can get it out.

Good luck with your decision.
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

I hate turkeys

Thanks for the information now the fun starts.
"There is no such thing as to much gun"
Elmier Keith

J-Shaped

24" Barrel
Rhino .670"
Nitro H51013A 4x5x7 Hevi Shot
Shot a few birds last year with the Hevi-13 3.5" #7's but the Nitros are my go-to combo

In my experience with both the 3" and 3.5" BPS, they are pretty easy to please. Lot of other good combos posted on here if you're willing to search back a ways.

Oconeeguy

Anyone know approximately when (what year) the quality appeared to go down in BPS ? I too have handled a couple at pawn shops recently and like the feel of the gun. My grandfather hunted with a sweet 15 humpback in the early 1900s and my Dad hunted with it up until the 1970s. Therefore, I have a certain respect for the brand.

Rockhound

WildTigerTrout

I have a 10Ga. BPS Stalker 24" that I bought new in 2001. It is SOLID , HEAVY and VERY GOOD Quality.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

mudhen

I've owned BPS's since 1988, and I have not seen any change in quality.

I really doubt Miroku has changed much over all these years.

I think the first 3.5" were made on the 10 gauge BPS platform, and they were tanks.  Newer 3.5" were made on their own platform, and I find them very solid, well made, with excellent fit & finish.

My 2011 NWTF BPS is very solid, patterns well with the IC choke, and I'm going to test it with the HS choke this weekend.  Laid out quite a few birds with my 2007 BPS as well.

I do polish the chamber on all BPS's right out of the box.  Helps keep certain brands of shells with weak brass from sticking...

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

nate829

I shoot left handed and love Browning shotguns.  To me, you cant beat the BPS with bottom ejecting. I shoot  the 12 gauge 3 1/2" MOBU with 28" barrel. I use it for turkey and waterfowl. I shoot a Browning factory extra-full turkey choke loaded with Winchester Supreme 3", 2oz. #6 Shot. I have taken several turkeys with this setup. Although I like keeping my shots between 30-40 yards, I have taken a couple of gobblers at 50 and 55 yards with my BPS.  The only bad thing is I don't like the 28" barrel in tight cover. If I ever buy another gun specific for turkey, it will be another BPS.

Hooks' n' Beards'

Best Pump Shotgun in the World,Hard to beat Brownings.Period

K9Doc

I can tell you i handled a new camo BPS recently and an older BPS side by side.  They were completely different animals.  The new gun was noticeably lighter and action not nearly as smooth and tight.  The older gun had been duck hunted with for  several years and still hands down a better weapon.
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.