turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

870 and kicks

Started by I-55Bandit, February 14, 2012, 02:03:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I-55Bandit

What would you shoot out of a 870 super mag 26" barrel with a Kick's GT in .665?

I-55Bandit

heavyshot is not a recommended load

shuey270

Winchester supreme 2oz, #4 , 3.5", works for me.

delta hunter

mine likes win extended range 2oz #6, but that's with a jellyhead choke.

Longshanks

Quote from: I-55Bandit on February 14, 2012, 02:14:48 PM

No worries..i have been shooting a ridiculous amount of Hevi 7's through a Kicks .655 without any problems.  Allot of folks on here do the same. Kicks approve Nitro shells which are hevi shot..I have never heard anyone damage a kicks choke with Hevi shot turkey loads. There was a guy claiming he damaged one with Duck loads.

C J Stahly

Quote from: Longshanks on February 14, 2012, 05:19:16 PM

No worries..i have been shooting a ridiculous amount of Hevi 7's through a Kicks .655 without any problems.  Allot of folks on here do the same. Kicks approve Nitro shells which are hevi shot..I have never heard anyone damage a kicks choke with Hevi shot turkey loads. There was a guy claiming he damaged one with Duck loads through one. 2's,3's.

There was a post on here not to long ago that someone called KICKS and they said shooting hevishot was ok.  If Im not mistaken.  I have heard a ton of people doing it and not one "horror story"

Longshanks

Quote from: C J Stahly on February 14, 2012, 06:45:33 PM
Quote from: Longshanks on February 14, 2012, 05:19:16 PM

No worries..i have been shooting a ridiculous amount of Hevi 7's through a Kicks .655 without any problems.  Allot of folks on here do the same. Kicks approve Nitro shells which are hevi shot..I have never heard anyone damage a kicks choke with Hevi shot turkey loads. There was a guy claiming he damaged one with Duck loads through one. 2's,3's.

There was a post on here not to long ago that someone called KICKS and they said shooting hevishot was ok.  If Im not mistaken.  I have heard a ton of people doing it and not one "horror story"

Slicky put up a link about this issue with kicks that was very informative. Kicks claims don't make much sense. They also have one of the most structurally sound chokes on the market. Shot themselves in the foot and missed allot of sales. IMO

allaboutshooting

Quote from: I-55Bandit on February 14, 2012, 02:03:51 PM
What would you shoot out of a 870 super mag 26" barrel with a Kick's GT in .665?

The Kick's choke is a very well made and high quality product with a robust design. It was designed for and made to shoot 3" Winchester HV lead loads with 1.75 oz. of #6 shot and that's what it shoots best, in my experience. Charlie Boswell used that choke to win several World Championships with that load in the late 1990s.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Harcomo

I've had a Kick's GT .665 in my 870 for years now.  I use Winchester Supreme HV lead  3" #5's out of it.  The same load that Clark referred to in the above post, only I use the #5 shot.  It's put down a bunch of gobblers for me.  No need for me to look for anything else.

agturkey

I shoot that same combo with hv 2oz 6 winchester 3.5 lead and also shoot xtended range 2 3/4 5 with outstanding results.  Polish your gun go shoot.  If you want to shoot a good 5 3.5 lead load the xx 2 1/4 winchester does best out of mine.

WW

I have an 870 with a kicks choke and the only shell that it will hold a tight pattern on is the #6 hevi shot. I called the guy that owns Kicks and he said Hevi Shot was ok to shoot in all of the kicks chokes......And this was 2 weeks ago that I spoke with the guy. He also told me that if I was unsatisfied with my choke to send it back and he'd replace it for free with one of the same size, since every now and then one doesn't pattern at all.

Rockhound

i aint had any problems at all out of either of mine

Gobble!

When I called kicks they told me not to use hevi13 but I could use Winchester xtended range and nitros

Tom Foolery

I have shot a boat load of Hevi shot and Hevi13 from my Kicks .660.  It shoots real good too.

If it were me, I would be shooting Hevi13 #7's.

Bamarich

IMO, the Kick's choke is too constricted for Hevi-shot unless you plan to shoot 7's or smaller.