turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

tru glo SSX

Started by trkehunr93, February 13, 2012, 10:54:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trkehunr93

Wha your are thoughts?  Thinking of getting the one threaded for Moss. 500, exit dia. is .643.  Need some load advice.

mightyjoeyoung

Why not?  it's one of the best chokes out for the money.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

surehuntsalot

excellent choke for the money
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

trkehunr93

Thanks!  Any load recommendations?  Planning on getting one for my Mossberg 500.  I was leaning towards 3" 6's, probably Winchester XX or HV.

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: trkehunr93 on February 19, 2012, 06:34:41 PM
Thanks!  Any load recommendations?  Planning on getting one for my Mossberg 500.  I was leaning towards 3" 6's, probably Winchester XX or HV.

Yes.   lol
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

mcgruff1533

Quote from: trkehunr93 on February 13, 2012, 10:54:00 PM
Wha your are thoughts?  Thinking of getting the one threaded for Moss. 500, exit dia. is .643.  Need some load advice.

I ran a .643" SSX in my 20" barreled Mossberg 535 for the past two seasons.     Good choke, and I killed quite a few birds with it.    Each gun is different, so a load that worked well in my short barrel might be a poor performer in your particular Mossy 500.

The SSX choke is a solid performer for the money.    It's a long choke, and they're foreign made (China).    No complaints otherwise.

stinkpickle

It appears to be worth trying.  I would like to try one in my 20" Mossy 500 one day.

saveallj

I just ordered one for my 935.

trkehunr93

My 500 is the field model w/ the 28" barrel.  I have killed alot of turkeys with it but it was retired from turkey hunting in 06 when I upgraded to my 835.  Only thing I have used it for is squirrel since then, I keep looking at it in my safe and keep thinking it needs to be put back in service.

knotheadedfool

great choke.  I've got one in my 500, and I had one in my 11-87.  I patterned 6 or 7 chokes in that 11-87, everything from IC, rhino, jellyhead, and others.  I got a SLIGHTLY better pattern out of the IC and rhino tubes, but only with one specific load each.  That ssx patterned good with every load I put through it.  From that experience, it was the first choke i tried with my 500 and was pleased from the start.  Even with that tight constriction, it will pattern #4 lead better than anything else that I tested.  its just a well designed choke.

saveallj

Mine came in the mail today can't wait to get a chance to shoot it.

trkehunr93

Quote from: saveallj on February 24, 2012, 10:47:10 PM
Mine came in the mail today can't wait to get a chance to shoot it.
Let me know your results!  I just ordered one from midway usa, was bidding on one on ebay but it got all the way up to $35.51 with $8 shipping and its used.  midway had it new for $34.99 and shipping was less than $5 bucks, total was $39.50.  We are having a mild winter here in VA so I should be able to get out to pattern it soon after it gets here.  will post results, I'm going to run Rem 3" nitro mag #4's, Win sup HV 3" 4's, Fed Prem. pre-FCW 3" #4's and some Win. sup HV 3" 5's & 6's.

Trevor2

This thread has gave me some inspiration. I got a ssx for my 870 special purpose and one for dads 870 express. Mine shoots good enough for me but we cant get dads right. It doesnt hold a tight pattern with 6s, so I didnt think it would do well with 5s or 4s but you fellars have convinced me to try some. I figured with it leaving 6s loose it would blow the pattern on 5s or 4s but im gonna give it a whirl. Thanks guys.
Strutstopper

Nick_The_Tinkerer

any further updates guys...curious what the results will be

trkehunr93

My 500 did not like this choke, blew the pattern on every load I put thru it.  I tried Rem Nitro Mag 3" 4's, Win HV 3" 6's and even some Win XR 3" 6's.  I have a Kicks GT in .655 that I just got off ebay on the way so hopefully it will like that choke better.  The SSX was just way to tight for my 28" barrel, it may like a shorter barrel, don't know