OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

I just can't get it. Purr's with a mouth

Started by Bustabeak, February 13, 2012, 10:06:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bustabeak

Ok.. I've tried and tried. I can only do a purr with my lips and it just doesn't sound a realistic as with your throat or tongue. Has anyone got any tips? I can flutter my tongue but when I have a call in my mouth I just can't get it to work. When I try with my throat I just end up grunting. Anyone out there experience the same problem??

TRKYHTR

Here is a little video clip I did a few years ago. I don't know if you've seen it or not. It might help.

TRKYHTR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOX3cgUoIi4
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Bustabeak

Yeah, I've watched yours a couple times and it sound great but I just can't get my tongue to flutter with the call in my mouth. it just seems harder to me to control the purr with my lips. I just can't figure it out. I've spent hours just trying to gargle/ flutter my tongue but I can't get it. I seem to be able to do everything but that. It just aggravates me so dang bad that I can't do it. Almost all the callers I watch on youtube and on here seem not to use their mouths to cluck and purr.

Longbeardfever4ever

It took me a very very long time. When I first started I growled so much it gave me a sore throat.. now I'm scoring high with it in competitions.  The best advice I can give you is always have a call in, and start growling. I like a batwing!
Hook's Custom Calls
Keep The Fever Custom Calls
Romans 3:24

savduck

Try bending the call of your frame. push the two open ends of the mouth call towards each other a little. A very loose reed purrs very well. It take a while to learn, but when you get it, it all comes together.
Georgia Boy

drenalinld

That was very, very frustrating for me. Took me a lot of time.

Bustabeak

So its more of a growl? Thanks for all the advice. I want to start competing but I guess I'm just the type that I don't want to do it unless I know it sounds right. And the Lips just don't sound anything like the callers i've seen in the videos of calling competitions.

Longbeardfever4ever

Quote from: Bustabeak on February 15, 2012, 08:50:49 PM
So its more of a growl? Thanks for all the advice. I want to start competing but I guess I'm just the type that I don't want to do it unless I know it sounds right. And the Lips just don't sound anything like the callers i've seen in the videos of calling competitions.

To me it is. I guess its a growl that gets the back of my tongue to vibrate.
Hook's Custom Calls
Keep The Fever Custom Calls
Romans 3:24

handcannon

BigGobbler

what are you trying to purr on?? a plain double or triple reed works best.Some of the calls with cuts will flutter to much and will not do a good sounding purr. Try  doing it like you were gurgling with mouthwash and put a grrrrrrrrr to it.

bowhunter

Try to act like you are revving up a hocker to spit out

BigGobbler

Quote from: bowhunter on February 19, 2012, 12:04:11 PM
Try to act like you are revving up a hocker to spit out

Like Imitating your OLD girlfriend LOL

Bustabeak

Yeah I've tried to do it on a ghost cut style call and also on one that is cut. I want to get just a plain double reed and give it a try as well.

Thanks for the tips. I'm slowly getting a little better.

Spurcollecta

Scott Ellis's new DVD, Mouthcall Magic, would be very beneficial to you especially if you want to start competing and don't have a good mentor. He covers cluck and purrs as well as all the other calls. Great video, IMO!

Turkey Trot

Tommy Walton of Tom Teasers made a diaphragm video.  He recommends the throat purr, and suggests practicing by gargling water.  It is an inexpensive video, and I want to see Scott Ellis' as well.
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter