turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Bore and POA/POI ?

Started by SumToy, February 12, 2012, 12:24:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SumToy

Ok folks I try to tie this all together with the target shooting. 

The post about temps got me on this.

Now the big bore guns drop in cold temps and the 835 pattern walks around with a normal bird shot (target load).  It is a bad boy in the  680 shoot just moves around.    Now have any of you found that it does this with the turkey loads. 

Bore of the 835 is 775 to 782 (on a few) normal wad is 707 in win and the hv stuff in the 720 rang the Fed wad is 730.  So this will let the wad bounce around going down the barrel. 
Browning Plus are 742 so it comes into play with them also.

Now would like to know how much energy is lost from blow by in this gun.   I know we have been told that with buckshot that it not kill as good.  I know the 835 will put a bad boy pattern with buckshot but have seen that it not past through the borad that holds the targets with the buckshot at times.  All the others do even the 20ga.  Now that said I have not shot the Browning plus stuff anuff to see a pattern on them. 

Now I am not trying to start a war.  I just use the feed back from all of you to make improvements on everything. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

bird

So basically what you are saying is that the big bore guns have some drawbacks which makes them a finicky son of a gun.

SumToy

Quote from: bird on February 12, 2012, 12:33:58 PM
So basically what you are saying is that the big bore guns have some drawbacks which makes them a finicky son of a gun.

Bird I dont know.  I know it all works hand in hand.  I have found that gun work diffrent if they in the south then the north and the west.  It takes a choke change some times.  

One sign is the choke in the 935 other day.  It go 280 in thick air in the south.  The thin air in the north it go 341.  Now dont think it go that all the time but it will be big.  This can fall back on the blow by not come into play as bad in the thin air.  I know that thin air you can choke a target gun bigger and thick cold damp air you need to choke small.  Got to shoot harder in that air.  Small choke make more back pressure so make it shoot harder.  Trick the gun. lol
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

mossy835

Interesting, going to watch this post. Thanks
:fud:

Hunt4Meat

interesting. I am glad there are guys out there figuring this stuff out. I don't have the time or energy to do this kind of research. Makes alot of sense on some pattern questions, huh?
If at first you don't succeed, shoot again.

Oconeeguy

Very interesting topic I have though about, but since I am fairly new to Turkey hunting, I didn't know if my questions about blowby were valid or not !

Longshanks

Makes sense..of all the turkey guns i have owned in the last 40yrs..the one with the largest bore diameter ive had the most trouble with POI/POA.  Beretta Xtrema 1 and 2

BigJim

I have been shooting an 870 since I started Turkey hunting, which has not been that long ago. I just bought an 835 the other day just because I am curious to see how they perform, so this thread is an interesting subject. Thanks for posting. 

yelpy

Very interesting.

I often wandered if shooting in the early morning or mid day would make a difference on how the gun performed. Our days can change in temp sometimes 20 deg. or better from early morning till noon. I will have to play around a bit in april to see how much of a change there is in the pattern from morning to afternoon on one of these cold to worm days. I never really payed much attention to the difference only when sighting in my rifles.

pullit

I would think that the soft plastic wad would expand to the bore. I don't know this for sure but you have the gas pushing it from behind and the resistance of the shot holding it back so I would think that the natural direction would be to go out which would be the diameter of the bore.

Mr16Gauge

Intersting Post

Will follow along as it developes.

Thanks

:OGturkeyhead:

SumToy

Quote from: pullit on February 13, 2012, 10:32:35 AM
I would think that the soft plastic wad would expand to the bore. I don't know this for sure but you have the gas pushing it from behind and the resistance of the shot holding it back so I would think that the natural direction would be to go out which would be the diameter of the bore.

Well plastic gets hard in the winter for one.  Now some essay like the winchester is hard all the time and round on bottom. It can't swell much.  The FCW wad will swell in the big bore gun that why I think it is working.  Now the HV-13 wad in the 835 would roll the bottom cup over in that big bore.   Now with the new wad they run it can not roll over.   

I think this is why we have saw some of the numbers come in low in guns this year.   We or I build are a shell for each give gun.  This has been something that makes it hard but fun to figure out.   I was just looking to see if folks have found that the big bore fall off bad in winter or if patern walks around some with the big bore guns.

pullit

I would think that if your getting gas blow by that shooting across a chronograph would show this up.
Has anyone seen a drop in vel ?

Reloader

The wad seals to the bore, no way around it.

I could see blow-by on wads in the 835 if it was happening.  The best example is to shoot each load with a squeaky clean bore.  The wads that are designed to protect the bore(IE HTL wads) come out clean with flared cups(from pressure sealing).  The shot/buffer expands the front petals, the cup expands the rear.

On the Win wads, the shot cups are round, but there are gas seals underneath that seal and do not follow the shot cup.

I can't see a wad not sealing or a cup not sealing even in a .775 bore.

Reloader

Sure have Wes, the 28" 835 beats the same in an 870, Inv, and Inv+ bore by a large margin. Less drag, but it still seals up. At least that's what the wads show.