Halloran Twisted Sister, Hooks Aluminum and 3 mouth calls
11 (55%)
Lights out glass, hooks aluminum, a custom tipped striker like coran
1 (5%)
buy 2 cheaper pots from the classifieds and get a field grade box
2 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 20

TauntoHawk

I am the place where I have pot calls, a box, and some mouth calls but almost all of them are cheaper production calls and while they've served their purpose Im looking to upgrade quality.

But I almost resent this sight because I know of hundreds of awesome sounding calls and while I would like one of each its not possible.. this year

Asking the question whats the best call, or what surface is your favorite will only get me 29 different answers because of the vastness of excellent calls and call makers around here. So im hoping this poll might give me a sense of what direction to start my collection in. The options all roughly cost about the same  give or take less than $5 so the comparision is basicly try and take my money as far as it will go getting as many calls or types as possible or go for less is more with two more expensive calls.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

TauntoHawk

purchased the the Halloran Twisted Sister and Hooks Assassin anodized aluminum along with a Halloran mouth call and a new face mask all from macks

they had the hooks aluminum on sale for 29.99 and offered free shipping plus $15 off for going over $100. saved about $40

I'll buy some hooks mouth calls straight from Scott cuz I want specific tape colors and I just want a couple of extra custom strikers and i'll be set in the call department for the season..

Maybe
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

savduck

Option 2.............thats a lot of Bang for the buck, and thats no disrespect to any of the fine call makers you have listed.
Georgia Boy

cannonball

Quote from: savduck on February 10, 2012, 05:28:46 PM
Option 2.............thats a lot of Bang for the buck, and thats no disrespect to any of the fine call makers you have listed.

:agreed:

Spurcollecta

Quote from: savduck on February 10, 2012, 05:28:46 PM
:agreed: I don't think you'll be disappointed.

TauntoHawk

No, I'm super excited to get them i know it's money well spent. I know I will have to have a call from Wendell at some point.

Can't wait to kill some slamming birds with them.

handcannon

From your list all I can vouch for is Wendell's LightsOut and Hooks mouth calls. I've got two of Wendell's glass calls which sound great as well as a tube call and I started using Hooks mouth calls last year and love 'em.

TANK

Quote from: handcannon on February 11, 2012, 11:03:11 PM
From your list all I can vouch for is Wendell's LightsOut and Hooks mouth calls. I've got two of Wendell's glass calls which sound great as well as a tube call and I started using Hooks mouth calls last year and love 'em.
I'm in the same situation.....I only have experience with Lights Out and Hooks. Both are outstanding calls. I'm being totally honest here about the the negatives on these 2. Lights Out is bigger than a average size pot call. It took some getting use to for me. Hooks mouth calls are easier to run than the "off the shelf" brands, I kinda had to make a few adjustments with them.

TauntoHawk

ive got hooks mouth calls, the executioner got it done last year. I'll buy more from scott soon, I want some done in different color tape so i can tell them apart quicker than looking at the cuts and reeds in the dark

TauntoHawk

Got my calls in yesterday and while I only got a few minutes of play time I can tell you im 120% satisfied!!!

The Hooks assassin is a no frills work horse; every inch of the playing surface is ready to talk turkey out of the box. It gets plenty loud but doesn't pop with the metallic ringing that many aluminum calls have it rather barks out rasp but also tones down extremely easy. This call is going to get gobblers killed this spring there's no doubt about that.

Then I picked up the much anticipated Twisted Sister by David Halloran.... This thing has more bird in it than my down comforter. Twisted indeed, starts high and cracks like a whip into chain smoking edgy rasp. I can already hear the involuntary gobbles.

I also need to say that I received a Houndstooth all pro 3 reed in the mail yesterday.. I got one from the free give away he did here on the site the other week.  It was a great call but I stupidly left it lay around and my dog gave it a shot too and chewed it up. Didn't say anything to him but posted in a thread about mouth calls that he made a good one and I'd recommend them to anyone, believe I mentioned that I would have to buy another one sometime soon because my dog had eaten it and I really liked the roll over and tone of the yelps I got from it. Yesterday ANOTHER all pro just shows up in the mail to replace the one he had already given me for free, that is above and beyond service. When I saw the letter and felt a call inside I told my wife, there is a stand up guy. Without spending a dime yet I can tell I will be a houndstooth customer for life.