turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Minimulast

Started by gotcha, February 07, 2012, 07:24:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gotcha

I am not a turkey hunting veteran by any means{this will be my 17th season}but I find myself buying less gear prior to the season and plan to carry less gear each season.Can't wait to just stick a mouth call in my shirt pocket and get after them.How does everyone do with this,is less really more?

njdevilsb

I used to buy a lot more before the season than I do now, but I always have to try out a few new diaphragms for sure.

A far as what I take in the woods, I like to have a variety so I'm prepared for just about anything.  I have 4 turkey calls and 2 locators in my vest.  We (my dad and I) usually have at least 1 decoy, but not always.  Sometimes it is nice just to plop your seat against a tree, put a couple shells in and a diaphragm and get to work.  If we are planning to stay a while, we bring more in.  If it's a run and gun type thing where we may have spotted some from the truck and we're trying to get on them, sometimes I leave my vest in the truck and bring a call and a gun.

Ol'Mossy

I consider myself a veteran, I have 17 years in too.

I do carry a few mouth calls and a few friction calls and this year i'll be taking my boat paddle box call along

guesswho

This will be my 46th spring spent in the turkey woods if I make it until then.  My vest used to weigh between   28-30 lbs without a turkey bird.  I've scaled way back.  I travel fairly light now-a-days compared to a lot of folks.  I learned a long time ago that most of that 30 lbs. was for show, and I usually didn't have anyone to show it to.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

sproultrapper

my shotgun, and a snuff can of mouth calls in my pocket. Don't really take anything else with me. use vocals for locating, crow call or owl hoot. Sometimes I wish I was a call maker after seeing all the calls they sell these days.

chad fenton

If I new I could call a turkey with just one call i would have one call.  I aint that good so I have a friction call and a few mouth calls and a crow and owl call.  No decoy for me

handcannon

I say every year I am gonna cut back on what I tote in but dang it, that vest dont seem to get much lighter. I dont consider myself a minimalist by any means. 

mountman62

definately not a minimalist, got enough stuff in my vest to open a store, extra gloves & face mask, extra skoal can of mouth calls, one slate, one ceramic, 2 strikers, light, tp, water, snack, all kinds of other stuff, one decoy usually, will shed some stuff if a long walk or raining, but hate to need something i left in the truck, also have carried a ammo box with me in the truck for 15 years, just in case me or someone else needs something, i usually got it
It's not a passion, It's an OBSESSION

[img][img]

RutnNStrutn

I generally start the season with everything I own crammed in my vest. But as the season wears on, I carry less, and less, and less until I'm down to the bare minimum!! :lol:

Old Gobbler

I didnt even use a vest until about 4 years ago , I use one now that is very nice

My gear:

Vest - Calls , mostly push pins  , with a crow and owl call , a container for chalk- a few drinks, facemask ,gloves, insect repellent , pruning shears , camo face paint - ammo   

I hunt in a Guillie suit , nylon "church socks" , crocks for shoes , and carry a SP10 - I have a bag with a decoy cause if anything is getting shot by a idiot, it will be the decoy

That's about it, I am conditioned and used to the 12 pound gun and gear - and it works very well for me - I typically keep all my gear in a empty cooler in my truck - I normally drive the last half mile with the lights off and park hidden - I try to  wait until  another truck  car goes by , then I turn the ignition off - I get to the back in the cooler and put all my gear on super silent and take my sweet a-- time creeping to my spot - I set up super quiet and wait for the show to start  - I never use a flashlight 

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

K9Doc

Nylon socks and Crocs!   :TooFunny:
I would have a Copperhead on my pinky toe before first light!
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

CASH

Quote from: K9Doc on February 07, 2012, 11:35:04 PM
Nylon socks and Crocs!   :TooFunny:
I would have a Copperhead on my pinky toe before first light!

He's not lying!  Seen it firsthand hand!  Couldn't believe it myself.
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

jakesdad

Usually carry way more than I need,but scale down as the season goes on.my dad is definetely a minimalist;3 shells in the gun, 1box call and whatever camo he decides to wear that day.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

redrivergar

I used to carry a lot but there's no telling how much I've left laying beside trees.  :TooFunny:

Hognutz

I always carry more than I need. Just habit. Everything has a place in my fanny pack and belt. We don't get but 7 days to hunt in Wi. (it was 5 until this year), so it is not too cumbersome for too long..
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.