Main Menu

Scopes on a turkey gun?

Started by GobblinNC, February 07, 2012, 01:51:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TalksToTurkeys

Quote from: Spurcollecta on February 18, 2012, 02:42:20 PM
Quote from: TalksToTurkeys on February 18, 2012, 02:15:48 PM
Quote from: Spurcollecta on February 07, 2012, 02:20:58 PM
There's no such thing as "surgical shooting" with a shotgun.

Shotguns make poor surgical instruments. This patient was operated on at close range with a scoped shotgun. The operation was a success but the patient died.

If your gun fits you properly you will have no trouble finding moving game in a scope.

Looks like a successful surgery to me! Wasn't the goal of the operation to kill the patient?? Lol

You are correct. I have edited my original post. Thank you.

redleg06

Im a reflex style site guy after last year but will use open sites also...

The field of view of a scope was my concern.

MERCing

I used Red Dot sights on my set-ups for a couple of years and went back to sights.
I was always concerned about the battery dying when I had a bird worked in close.

rmck15

I use a red dot.  No magnification. No problem finding birds.  Change battery every year whether it needs it or not. 

eaglea1

I'm going with a new Vortex Red Green dot this year. Can't wait

J-Shaped

I've used the bead, the rifle sights and a scope. I keep going back to the scope and have been shooting one for about the last 15 years. Everybody is different and all choices have their pro's and con's, but I've never had an issue picking a bird up in the scope, and it certainly helps me maintain focus and stay down on the gun at the moment of truth. I've shot them with the scope as close as a couple of steps, on a dead run, walking, standing picture-perfect still, etc.

If you go the scope route, the best advice I could give is:

1 - Buy as high of quality optics as your pocketbook can afford. Heavy recoiling turkey guns are not friendly to cheap scopes. Additionally, the clarity and light transmission of good optics are invaluable, especially in the early morning or under a thick canopy of trees.
2 - Same as the optics, don't skimp on a good mounting system (i.e. rings and bases).
3 - Stay in the lower power range and you most likely won't encounter any issues finding your bird, regardless of what he's doing. I personally prefer a fixed 2.5X

In the end, it all comes down to what you're the most comfortable and confident in.

NWBama

I put a Browning Holographic sight on my double 20 ga last year - love it. I like being able to see the turkey around the sight = easier picking up the target IMO.

Longshanks

I hunt with double beads, tru glo iron sights on a few guns, and one shotgun with a red dot.  I generally take one of the guns with double beads or iron sights because it is one less thing to think about when im focused on how to get in position to get a gobbler to commit to the call. Simple is better in my opinion.  Murphy's law will get you in turkey hunting if you over complicate a very basic shot within 40yds with too much technology. Trust me..ive seen it a bunch guiding. Ive had a turkey run right toward us and the guy couldnt get on the turkey because of his scope and the turkey ran right between us and stopped behind and gobbled.  There is such a thing as over-teching. Keep it simple

onelow69c10

I have the turkeypro it is a very nice scope and a steal now that you can get them for $150 i paid $250 for mine last year

surehuntsalot

I hunt with a set of truglo fiber optic sights,when I can't see them,I'll quit turkey hunting
I will not put a scope on a shotgun
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Hooks' n' Beards'

I Have a Tri Viz on but am looking for something else,Not sure yet,Imnot overly sold on a Scope for Turkey huntin.

afoshie

SURGERY DOSNT SPEAK TRUE WITH THAT PICTURE. jUST CURIOUS WHAT GUN LOAD CHOKE AND DISTANCE.

afoshie

HIT ENTER TO SOON. tHE GUYS ON HERE PUT ME ON A MUELLER RED DOT A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO AND I HAVE NO REGRETS. CHEAPER THAT THE HIGH DOLLAR REFLEX SIGHTS BUT WELL WORTH THE MONEY

VaTuRkStOmPeR

I've got a pentax 2.5x on my browning silver and Williams firesights on my 870 super mag.

I can get very surgical with the browning.  The magnification allows me to identify very small shooting windows at close and long range.  If you give me  4" of a turkey's head at 40 yards I can and have made that shot before.

Despite the obvious advantages, the scope does present some challenges when encountering multiple birds.  It can be difficult to watch all the birds, and identify when to move all while simultaneously keeping the scope centered on the target bird.

The Williams firesights on my 870 have obvious advantages from the simplicity of the design and use.  That being said, they do not offer the precision aiming a scope does.

I shoot multiple birds with each gun every season and appreciate the attributes of both set-ups

beagler

Said it once say it again, Aimpoint 9000SC red dot.
Never Misses