turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Scopes on a turkey gun?

Started by GobblinNC, February 07, 2012, 01:51:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chad fenton

My only concern would be picking target up quickly.  I think the way I hunt, open sights benefit me.  I do have a ghost ring though.

WVhuntEER

I have that same Nikon scope on by Benelli and love it!   To me I think it makes you a lot more accurate because you can pick a spot on the turkey.  Especially if he is far away.   

natman

Quote from: Spurcollecta on February 07, 2012, 02:20:58 PM
I prefer a scope on my turkey gun. I actually use the same nikon that you mentioned and IMO, it's one of the best scopes on the market. Leave it on 2x when you hunt and you're good to go! You can have a hard time with target aquisition if you leave it on high power..

Do you need a scope to turkey hunt? No, but you can be downright surgical with them at long range and up close. Most misses are because the turkey was either too close or too far and for me a scope is the way to go. Most peoples guns don't hit true poa after they install custom choke and shoot hevishot (In my experience), so they do need an adjustable sight. Whether or not it is a scope, red dot, reflex, adjustable iron sights is up to them. It is MY OPINION that a scope is the most precise and allows you to shoot more accurately in low light conditions.

EVERY type of sight has pro's and cons. I'm just glad there's alot of good choices!

You've made a good case for having some sort adjustable sight so that POI can equal POA. But you haven't mentioned one single reason why it should be a scope. There's no such thing as "surgical shooting" with a shotgun.

chatterbox

I have used scopes, red dots and open sights.
Of the three, I prefer the red dot sight. I do not need the magnification that a scope provides, but if someone does, or enjoys using a scope, go for it. I like the wide FOV that an open red dot or reflex style provides. I don't like open sights due to the fact that I have to think about keeping my head down on the stock, and lining up the red dot between the green.
For me, that's just too many things to think about.

flatwoodsgobbler

I used a scope for the first time last year. I really liked it. I have always just used the bead but the eyesight isn't as good as it used to be. My contacts are sometimes a little blurry. The scope helps take that away.
The main disadvantages is it limits your field of view and your shotgun no longer feels like a shotgun.

strutstopper

I shoot a leupold 1.5-4x20 scope on my 870. Before putting the scope on my gun I had missed several birds. I need glasses or contacts but I'm too stubborn to get them. I have shot multiple running birds, but I'm also very used to shooting a scoped gun. Another reason I shoot a scope is because my gun shoots a golfball size pattern out to about 25 yards. Crosshairs give me an extremely precise aiming point "aim small miss small". I tried the tru glo sights but the turkeys head was always just a blob when looking through them  and didn't work for me.

Spurcollecta

Quote from: natman on February 18, 2012, 04:37:26 AM
I prefer a scope on my turkey gun. I actually use the same nikon that you mentioned and IMO, it's one of the best scopes on the market. Leave it on 2x when you hunt and you're good to go! You can have a hard time with target aquisition if you leave it on high power..

Do you need a scope to turkey hunt? No, but you can be downright surgical with them at long range and up close. Most misses are because the turkey was either too close or too far and for me a scope is the way to go. Most peoples guns don't hit true poa after they install custom choke and shoot hevishot (In my experience), so they do need an adjustable sight. Whether or not it is a scope, red dot, reflex, adjustable iron sights is up to them. It is MY OPINION that a scope is the most precise and allows you to shoot more accurately in low light conditions.

EVERY type of sight has pro's and cons. I'm just glad there's alot of good choices!

You've made a good case for having some sort adjustable sight so that POI can equal POA. But you haven't mentioned one single reason why it should be a scope. There's no such thing as "surgical shooting" with a shotgun.

And you haven't mentioned one logical reason why it shouldn't be a scope. IMO, a scope is less complicated than red dots and reflexes due to their battery reliance and risk of electronic failure. IMO, a scope is better than the adjustable fiber-optic sights that you see atop most turkey guns because I've had the fiber optic pieces fall out of every one that I've had. I'd love to use just a bead but any of the already mentioned sighting devises will make you more accurate, period. Pick whatever YOU want because I don't care what YOU or anyone else hunts with. And yes I am "surgical" with my scoped 870...

delta hunter

I think a scope would be the way to go, I just worry about it losing its zero if I was to drop my gun or bump the scope

Spurcollecta

Quote from: delta hunter on February 18, 2012, 01:12:54 PM
I think a scope would be the way to go, I just worry about it losing its zero if I was to drop my gun or bump the scope

That's a logical concern! I've used a scope for seven or eight seasons and hunt darn near everyday. I don't baby my gun at all and not once has it lost it's zero. I'd be more concerned about the mounts or base coming loose. Just make sure to lock-tite everything when installing and that should eliminate that.

TalksToTurkeys

There's no such thing as "surgical shooting" with a shotgun.

Shotguns make Excellant surgical instruments. This patient was operated on at close range with a scoped shotgun. The operation was a success Because the patient died.

If your gun fits you properly you will have no trouble finding moving game in a scope.

DC101

Fixed 2.5 power for me, no problem finding birds in the scope.

I had issues with open sights and being able to focus well on the aiming points without some blurring. Scope gives me one aiming point, no blurring.

Spurcollecta

Quote from: TalksToTurkeys on February 18, 2012, 02:15:48 PM
There's no such thing as "surgical shooting" with a shotgun.

Shotguns make poor surgical instruments. This patient was operated on at close range with a scoped shotgun. The operation was a success but the patient died.

If your gun fits you properly you will have no trouble finding moving game in a scope.

Looks like a successful surgery to me! Wasn't the goal of the operation to kill the patient?? Lol

willy8457

I don't see the need for a scope, And i really don't need a mirror on the front of my gun.

delta hunter

I think the nikon scope comes with a honeycomb style sun filter to eliminate glare or glint

Spurcollecta

Quote from: delta hunter on February 18, 2012, 02:54:18 PM
I think the nikon scope comes with a honeycomb style sun filter to eliminate glare or glint

Sure does! I don't use it tho cause it's never been an issue. I guess if they seen the glare it was too late. Or maybe they liked the way they looked in the "mirror" and kept coming...