turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

best purrin an cluckin friction call??

Started by slave601, February 05, 2012, 10:21:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slave601

fellas whts the best friction call for purring an cluckin. i like a glass surface. ive switched mouth calls last year an can not purr for anything with my new one. so ill be buyin a sweet purring call this year. any help an info would be much appreciated.
"thinnin the flock"

Cut*N*Run

Tough to beat blasted aluminum. Don't count out good ole slate either though.

drenalinld

Slate makes the most realistic clucks and purrs of pot calls for my ear. Also is the most forgiving to newer callers in my opinion. Box call clucks and purrs are tougher to master but very realistic. The best clucks of any call come from a trumpet but purrs are extremely difficult. A quality push pin will also give realistic clucks and purrs.

slave601

I want a pot call. I don't care for the aluminum ones. Slate glass or crystal will do. I jus want one for purring not yelpin or cutting. Who makes a good custom call
"thinnin the flock"

merocustomcalls

Woodhaven makes a dedicated "Cluck 'n Purr" pot for around 40 bucks.  It is a very soft volume call and is more often used in calling competitions than in the woods.  The sound can't be beat for strictly clucks and purrs but it is limited to that and won't reach out very far in the woods.  

Aside from that a slate call is probably the best choice.

TRKYHTR

I think the best clucking and purring pot call is a slate. Using a soft striker like poplar. Sounds like a real turkey.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

TANK

If you want a call only for clucking & purring you need a Lynch Jet Slate type.....Pappy made me one last spring out of Spalted Maple and it's sweet! He is also making a can call now that is basically the same thing but it has a sound board in it. The key to getting the turkey out of these calls is holding them firmly into your gut with one hand while running them. They don't sound well if you try and run them like a pot call. I'm going to bump Pappys post up so yall can see it......

JohnnieB

C_W

Quote from: TANK on February 06, 2012, 06:01:19 AM
The key to getting the turkey out of these calls is holding them firmly into your gut with one hand while running them. They don't sound well if you try and run them like a pot call.

WOW, does it matter what size gut you have?   :TooFunny:

I'd get the Woodhaven if you want a dedicated purr pot. All the callers at contest are using them for a reason. They are all turkey and you don't have to hold them a certain way.

scoot12

I agree the woodhaven cluck n purr pot is as real as it gets.  Have seen them for $30.  They have that deep hollow purrs and clucks. 

pappy

The Lil' Purrin' Cans I make have a great sound to them, I keep the toms in my neighbor's back yard hoppin'....that is good enough for me, if those tame birds jump, then those in the field are sure to want in on the action. They cluck and purr, that is what they are designed for, maybe not to be played on a stage, but in the woods.......you wanna hunt birds or get up on a stage and play here turkey .. turkey ?
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

coachmitchel

Right on pappy, I have one of his first purring cans.  That little thing sounds great and couldn't come from a better person.

WillowRidgeCalls

Don't over look a Trough style call either they work great for putt n purring, but your not limited to just that.
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

Mailman

Quote from: TRKYHTR on February 05, 2012, 11:50:11 PM
I think the best clucking and purring pot call is a slate. Using a soft striker like poplar. Sounds like a real turkey.

TRKYHTR
I make pot calls and strikers. I love the poplar strikers they really grab the surface. that is what i use
One Shot One Kill

Hersh

Spalted maple trough call with a slate surface. Hersh