turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Which do you think will win?

Started by davisd9, February 02, 2012, 07:21:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davisd9

CJ and I are going to get together Saturday and do some more patterning.  I used a Star Dot last year with good results from Hevi 6s 3" 1 5/ oz.  This year I am going to test a few different shells, 3" Mag Blends and 3.5" Hevi 6s.  I am going to try them through the Star Dot, a Jelly Head, and a Pure Gold.  Which choke and shell do you think will preform the best?

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

dirt road ninja

I'll back the JH with the straight 6 shot. The .670 seems like it might be to tight. I'm sure everybody else is going to put their money on the Stardot, but the jellyhead going to be winner. I hadn't shot 6 thru my Stardot yet, so I'm not sure how it will do. If you want to try an IC .675 will ship mine up to you for a test drive.

Turkeykiller12

I've heard alot of good things from guys shooting the jellyhead chokes. Maybe the jellyhead will out shoot those high dollar chokes !

tcook7

davisd9

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

tcook7

trkehunr93

From what I have seen I think the pure gold will like the 6's, I'm not so worried about numbers as I am a good even pattern at 40.  Keep us posted

davisd9

Quote from: trkehunr93 on February 03, 2012, 03:17:05 PM
From what I have seen I think the pure gold will like the 6's, I'm not so worried about numbers as I am a good even pattern at 40.  Keep us posted

That is what I want.  As long as it is over 150 at 40" with a good even pattern I will be happy.  Thanks!

davisd9

So far I have only had the chance to test the Pure Gold .670 and the Star Dot .676 with the 3.5" Hevi 6s.  Right now I am actually happy with both.  The PG had a few small holes in the pattern but I would feel more than comfortable than hunting with it.  At a lasered 40 yards I got 180 hits.  You will notice that I marked a few hits outside the circle and that was cause my circle was not a true 10", it was 9 7/8" because of the plate I used to make it out.  The SD did really well, it was a nice even pattern with no true holes in it, but it was just 20 hits more at 200.  Still have to try the JH with the 3.5 6s and all the chokes with 3" mag blends.

C J Stahly

3" mag blends??  Why not 3.5?  Come on!  lol 

trkehunr93

I stand corrected, I thought the pure gold would do a little better but I really like the star dot pattern.  Mine was good with the 6's but the Hevi 7's were much better thru it.  The 6's still threw a killable pattern at 40 though. 

dirt road ninja

When Ya going to run a few thru the JH.

davisd9

I think I decided to just stick with the Star Dot and got with the Hevi 3.5 6s.  I am very happy with the pattern from it and just do not know if the JH would give me anything extra.  The star dot pattern is even and can reach past forty abit in case of a miscalculation in range.