News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Thoughts On Camo.....

Started by StruttinGobbler3, February 02, 2012, 05:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightsoutcalls

Quote from: Sherrell on February 03, 2012, 07:38:20 AM
A little more to turkey hunting than camo.market hunters and subsistence hunting proved that by nearly wiping out the existence of the wild turkey.

What kind of camo did they have in the 1800's?

I think back then they wore -wait for it - wait for it-   

TURKEY SKINZ!!!

Sorry, it's Friday... I couldn't help myself.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

bunk

Just my 2 cents but I like the old woodland camo and wear it for turkey and dear.

rempumpman

The camo of today is welll advanced and certain patterns work for certain times of the year; I LOVE Mossy Oak camo and use it 99.99% of the time but if one wants to talk military camo NOTHING beats a ghillie suit; those things are scary effective; one can truly "disappear" especially in the spring time of the year; a buddy of mine is a turkey killin' machine and the ghillie suit is the only camo he uses; one time I let him have a 15 minute time period to hide in a very small patch of the woods; he called me on my cell when he was ready and I absolutley went over every spot of that wood patch and never did find him.UNTIL I MADE HIM MOVE; the secret to any hunt, be it turkey, deer, squirrel, or whatever, is to stay as still as humanly possible; those ghillie suits are very effective and that's what I would buy as far as military camo.
God has always provided the tree, but you never read where he built the nest.

natman

As turkey hunters we have a pretty good idea what our hunting environment is going to look like and there's a pattern or two that matches where we hunt. Dark woods, green woods, open prairie, marsh, there's a pattern for it.

The military has to cover every conceivable situation with one or two patterns, basically green or brown. They need a lot more universal pattern than we do.

R AJ

Quote from: Sherrell on February 03, 2012, 07:38:20 AM
A little more to turkey hunting than camo.market hunters and subsistence hunting proved that by nearly wiping out the existence of the wild turkey.

What kind of camo did they have in the 1800's?

I don't think they had seasons back then other than salt and pepper and no limits as well. Might have also bowed to putting out feed near some bushes possibly.

StruttinGobbler3

Now I will admit the ghillie is something I've considered before. I always talk myself out of it in the end though. Seems to be a bit overkill.
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

agturkey

The material is more important to me than pattern!  Sales are great I look like a bushhog clogged up in my camo patterns combined!

Neill_Prater

I'm no expert, but I'm guessing that with us being basically predators, and supposedly more intelligent than turkeys, the way we interpret what camo does may well be considerably different than a gobbler, so what might not be effective to us, might work great on a prey animal.

I mean, stop and think about it a minute. If you saw a guy sitting by a tree in plain sight, you would recognize it as a human being, even if he didn't move. Unless you are silhouetted, or move, I don't think a turkey is capable of doing that.

anthonyjhallen

Quote from: CASH on February 02, 2012, 08:08:45 PM
Quote from: bird on February 02, 2012, 06:35:59 PM
As a 10 year Army vet and a very staunch supporter of our troops I can honestly say that just because our military may use it doesn't necessarily mean its the best.

Can you say lowest bidder?

Can you say general officer trying to "leave his mark?"

ncturkey

You could fool a turkey with it. But most of that digital camo is higher priced than hunting camo. I mix and match different brands of camo to blend in to where ever I hunt. Being still is very important for your camo to work. abut a turkey can make you out even with the best camo. The type of fabric camo clothes are made of is very important to how well it works. Leafy wear camo is cool. It give depth to your camo. Mossy Oak Obsession is my favorite but the turkey do not like it cause it gets them killed.

CypressCyko

If I remember right, back when the Marines were switching to the digital camo, they were explaining the differences on tv and said hunting camo contains layers of depth which is good for stationary objects, but the digital camo was designed for mobility and to blur or hinder immediate identification by an enemy, allowing that extra split second to run across an opening or fire a shot. Atleast thats what the Marine said. And it's also suppose to blend better at a distance. That's the Marine pattern, I don't know what the Army's grey pattern is suppose to blend into, I guess rocks. Atleast they're assigning multi-cam in Afghanistan now, it looks promising with a blend of both round shapes and digital.

nstrut

i agree with the hunter who said its more of a sales thing.i do wear mossy oak  bottomland.i found for me that the dark brown is best when hunting in the woods.i also use mossy oak new break up around the fields..i think it just makes one feel better being in camo..but you can kill that old boss in blue jeans and a dark tee shirt if u set still.

smitty1hunter

Quote from: Neill_Prater on February 04, 2012, 11:51:34 PM
I'm no expert, but I'm guessing that with us being basically predators, and supposedly more intelligent than turkeys, the way we interpret what camo does may well be considerably different than a gobbler, so what might not be effective to us, might work great on a prey animal.

I mean, stop and think about it a minute. If you saw a guy sitting by a tree in plain sight, you would recognize it as a human being, even if he didn't move. Unless you are silhouetted, or move, I don't think a turkey is capable of doing that.

I think even then you would be surprised how close you would get before seeing a person unless he had on some bright clothes if he didn't move. Also, I doubt a turkey would have to contemplate what you actually were, they would see something unnatural and take off. Still, if you kept still it would probably be too late. Those old earth tone plaids would work real well I believe.