OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Thoughts On Camo.....

Started by StruttinGobbler3, February 02, 2012, 05:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StruttinGobbler3

The ASAT camo thread got me thinking. I started a separate thread so as not to hijack the other post.If we as Hunters are so worried about our camo patterns making us disappear, then why don't more Hunters wear what is supposed to be the most advanced camouflage in the world? The U.S. military digital camo. Not being smart or sarcastic with this post, just an honest question. If digital camo is good enough to hide our soldiers from enemy forces, why shouldn't it be one of our first choices as hunters? Figured this would give us all something to chew on while killing time before turkey season. :lol:
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

30_06

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but its not all that difficult to spot a person wearing digital camo from a distance in quite a few environments.
When hunting I prefer something to break up my outline so as to make me harder to identify.

redarrow

I think digital is designed for urban enviroments,not wooded.

Crappiepro

Yeah, not to be a smart a-- either but Real Tree and Mossy Oak are proven. I sure don't want to be the guy that finds out "it doesn't work" LOL. I'll stay with the sticks and limbs stuff.

bird

As a 10 year Army vet and a very staunch supporter of our troops I can honestly say that just because our military may use it doesn't necessarily mean its the best.

StruttinGobbler3

Allow me to add a side note here- I'm not saying it's what I'd use or my first preference for hunting camo. Just thought it would be interesting to get some different views on it.
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

ctwny1

In my opinion...sitting still and not moving is just as important as any camo and what's wrong with the old style camo that was used for years? I think too many people have bought into a marketing campaign about Realtree and Mossy Oak. If it was that good, why doesn't out Military use it?

The Marines digital camo in woods is outstanding and would bet money your not going to see that at a distance and it was designed to breakup your outline and it does all of that and more. It's that effective.

stinkpickle

Quote from: bird on February 02, 2012, 06:35:59 PM
As a 10 year Army vet and a very staunch supporter of our troops I can honestly say that just because our military may use it doesn't necessarily mean its the best.

This is true.

Kylongspur88

Imo i dont think it matters. I know a ton of guys who kill birds in the old surplus's woodland camo. Ive killed fall birds wearing carharts. I think not moving is the big thing. Also dont use detergent with UV brighteners in it. They pick up on that quick.

Neill_Prater

Through the years, I've had numerous people ask me what my favorite camo is. I always reply "whichever one is on the clearance rack".  :) I've no doubt a camo produced 20 years ago is just as effective as one created this year, but, hey, if they never changed anything, no one would buy anything new until the old was worn out. Right? Neill

CASH

Can you say lowest bidder?
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

hookedspur

Quote from: CASH on February 02, 2012, 08:08:45 PM

Can you say lowest bidder?
:agreed:  :toothy12:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

TANK

Quote from: Neill_Prater on February 02, 2012, 08:02:46 PM
Through the years, I've had numerous people ask me what my favorite camo is. I always reply "whichever one is on the clearance rack".  :) I've no doubt a camo produced 20 years ago is just as effective as one created this year, but, hey, if they never changed anything, no one would buy anything new until the old was worn out. Right? Neill
Well Said!

ground control

One, you can't really compare a human's eyesight to that of a turkey. Two, the military is more concerned with tactics and operations than about the camo. We, as turkey hunters, should be too. Instead we are conditioned to think that with better camo, calls, blinds and whatever else that we will be more successful turkey hunters. In effect, buying our way into being a better hunter. As it has been said before, just because the military uses it does NOT mean its the best. It works, and how well is soley up to the one using it. All that said, I am kinda partial to Mossy Oak Obsession.
"Ground Control to Major Tom: Your circuit's dead, there's something wrong. Can you hear me Major Tom?"

Sherrell

A little more to turkey hunting than camo.market hunters and subsistence hunting proved that by nearly wiping out the existence of the wild turkey.

What kind of camo did they have in the 1800's?