OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Fed (pre flight control) 3/2/7.5's

Started by Longshanks, February 02, 2012, 01:11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Longshanks

Anyone have any experience with these shells? Buddy of mine gave me two boxes. Gonna run em through my Rem 870/ kicks .655. I have no doubt its gonna turn some serious patterns but just wondering about penetration/ lethality at 30-40yds. My guess is it would be about like shooting 8.5 or 9's in Hevi 13. :OGturkeyhead:

stinkpickle

Yep...that's what I shoot.  More specifically, that's what I USED TO shoot before Federal quit making them.  They seemed drop birds just fine out to 40 yards...and maybe one or two a hair beyond that.   :angel9:

drenalinld

I loved them and killed quite a few birds with them, but never shot past about 35 yards.

Longshanks

Quote from: Spuriosity on February 02, 2012, 08:38:30 PM
Quote from: Longshanks on February 02, 2012, 01:11:38 PM
Anyone have any experience with these shells? Buddy of mine gave me two boxes. Gonna run em through my Rem 870/ kicks .655. I have no doubt its gonna turn some serious patterns but just wondering about penetration/ lethality at 30-40yds. My guess is it would be about like shooting 8.5 or 9's in Hevi 13. :OGturkeyhead:
I use 1.25" of gel penetration as a min. for turkey lethality. KPY ballistics program shows that load to have that penetration to 35 yds. At 40 yds, it shows 1.11" of penetration.

Interesting..I was thinking they would have to loose their punch down range.. Thanks for the information.Think I will stick with 5's, 6's in Pb.