OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Pipeline?

Started by Neill_Prater, February 02, 2012, 11:31:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neill_Prater

I don't keep up with political issues as much as some do, mostly just what I hear on the nightly news, but I'm curious as to what happened to all the talk about the proposed pipeline from Canada? I do know that Obama nixed the idea, but it appears to me the media has done its best to sweep that under the rug.

I ain't the sharpest tool in the box, but it seems to me to be a really, really, dumb move. We need jobs, we need more independence from middle eastern oil, and Obama kills the whole deal, supposedly because of environmental issues? There are always environmental issues with any major project, but the thing people (the media?) seemed to ignore is that this country is already crisscrossed with pipelines now, with very few problems, so why is this one so different?

The one report I heard after Obama's decision downplayed the job creation part, insinuating the number of jobs created would be less than the industry estimates. Who cares? Two thousand good paying jobs are a lot better than none. I really think we, as a nation, should raise more of a stink about this.

stinkpickle

Yeah, that was an awesome move!  The air will get polluted and more energy will get used up shipping all that Canadian oil to China, but BY GOD, OUR environment will be safe.  LOL!   :D

lightsoutcalls

I saw a couple of replies on a yahoo post stating that all of the oil piped from Canada would be processed and then shipped out of the country to foreign buyers.   I honestly don't know where the posters got their information or whether it was true.
Regardless, a pipeline requires construction crews to build it, likely a good number of heavy equipment operators to prepare the land to be used (removing trees, leveling the ground, etc.) and so on.  For the life of me, I can't understand how a president who says he has laser focus on creating jobs would turn down the chance to ACTUALLY create some real jobs (not temporary jobs like hiring census workers for a few weeks) ESPECIALLY when he is up for election. 
The white house and the mess he "inherited" was able to bring gas prices down to $1.80 a gallon on average.  I heard this AM that the national average is currently at $3.40 a gallon.  It may be a couple of years before a drop of oil flowed through a pipeline, but the very announcement that an agreement was reached to begin the pipeline would likely cause market prices of oil to drop. 
As if I was not already critical of the current crop of politicians in Washington, this move alone would make me skeptical of the intentions of the current administration and ruling powers in Washington. 
All of the accusations of the GOP holding up a budget or progress seem to ring hollow after decisions like this.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

Beretta686

It would go through "Right to work" states ; No union labor and who supports the President?. Environmental wackos about the Ogallala aquifer. The pipeline even said they would reroute the pipe line.

Don't even get me started about the entire project.

50,000 miles of pipeline already in the ground.........
Official "Hippie" had my hip replaced August 2005

stone road turkey calls

Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

bird

A lot of the news that you hear or don't hear will depend on what news sources you watch or subscribe to.  The Big 3 major networks will pick and choose what news they will run.  I have found that if you want to see and hear the real news then FOX News is your best bet.

turkey slayer

Quote from: bird on February 02, 2012, 12:48:50 PM
A lot of the news that you hear or don't hear will depend on what news sources you watch or subscribe to.  The Big 3 major networks will pick and choose what news they will run.  I have found that if you want to see and hear the real news then FOX News is your best bet.
:agreed: yea if i watch the news Its gotta be fox.

TrackeySauresRex

:character0029: It's all about the oil!.. When sombody decides to grow a set. The economy will soar.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."