News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Sunday hunting hits dead end in house

Started by GOLD HUNTER, February 02, 2012, 08:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GOLD HUNTER

Sunday hunting push hits dead end in House subcommittee !  :'(

RICHMOND VA. — A push to lift Virginia's ban on Sunday hunting ran out of steam late today even before a House of Delegates subcommittee held a hearing on the legislation.

http://blogs.roanoke.com/politics/2012/02/01/sunday-hunting-push-hits-dead-end-in-house-subcommittee/

Kylongspur88

I found two things intersting about that article. First the fact that an insurance company is opposed to more hunting. Insurance companies are usually the ones pushing for more liberal seasons. If they had their way in KY we would deer hunt year round with rifles. Fewer deer=fewer deer/car collisions thus less pay out. Another thing I found interesting was the statement that no one wanted Sunday hunting. Who exactly are these people? I think a more accurate statement should be the preachers don't want sunday hunting. The article didn't specifically say this but when a representative is stating that Sundays should be for rest and worship and not hunting you can get a pretty good idea of who's interests he's looking out for. I just don't get it. I go to church on Sunday and it's nice to get to spend afternoons with friends hunting. Sportsmen need to speak up at the ballot box. No Hunting, no vote.

wvboy

I am not surprised .. I expected it to get killed in the Sub-Committee ..   The hunting community is just not as organized and well funded as the opposition in VA at this point.. Sad but true..
RB .. Take me Home Country Roads

Neill_Prater

I'm not going to get into a religious discussion, that, in my opinion, is for individuals to decide for themselves anyway, but bans on Sunday hunting are simply archaic laws that don't have much relevance in today's world, in my opinion. Here in Missouri, we used to have so-called "blue laws", which meant you couldn't buy certain things on Sunday's. Some of them were just plain stupid, similar to other old laws you occasionally hear about being on the books from 100+ years ago. They were largely unenforced, but occasionally some religious zealot would throw a hissy about this or that. Finally, about 20 years ago, they were all repealed.

Banning Sunday hunting is simply another example of the few forcing their views on the many. I'm guessing that if an honest poll were taken in VA, the majority of the populace would either be for Sunday hunting, or not give a rip one way or the other. What I don't quite understand is the idea that church and government should remain separate, and, obviously, this is a religious issue. The law also assumes that everyone observes the sabbath on Sunday, which isn't true.

WIRE PALADIN

YOU GOT THAT RIGHT NEILL_PRATER

THIS LAW S*CKS !!!  I'LL JUST SLEEP IN ON SUNDAYS NOW  :morning:

pat
Have gun will travel to your woods to hunt

stone road turkey calls

no hunting on sunday, no church on wednesday. an eye for a eye
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

sugarray

It is absolutely ridiculous!! 

I am a Christian, and will not miss church to hunt, but I will not tell anyone else that they can't hunt on Sunday.  I am not the Lord and am not going to make that decision for someone else.

Would I hunt before and after church, yes I will.  God made this earth and put animals on it for us to use. 

If you don't think it is right to hunt on Sunday, then don't hunt, but don't tell me I can't b/c of your beliefs. 

It is just like smoking.  Just cause you choose to smoke, doesn't mean I do, or that you should be able to make me inhale your second hand smoke.

wvboy

Sugar Ray and Zach20065 .. are you guys lucky enough to live in one of the WV counties that allow it on Sundays on Private Land?

Cause my county that I hunt in WV doesn't .. they did for one year back in 2001 I believe it was then took it away the next year ..
RB .. Take me Home Country Roads

gobbler74

Quote from: sugarray on February 02, 2012, 12:41:35 PM
It is absolutely ridiculous!! 

I am a Christian, and will not miss church to hunt, but I will not tell anyone else that they can't hunt on Sunday.  I am not the Lord and am not going to make that decision for someone else.

Would I hunt before and after church, yes I will.  God made this earth and put animals on it for us to use. 

If you don't think it is right to hunt on Sunday, then don't hunt, but don't tell me I can't b/c of your beliefs. 

It is just like smoking.  Just cause you choose to smoke, doesn't mean I do, or that you should be able to make me inhale your second hand smoke.

NO HUNTING ON SUNDAY IS flat out Anti hunting aroma period..Noise you say? Whats louder? My bow or a bass boat? No hunting?  then no fishing... nothing against folks that do that but whats the difference?... maybe that people cant walk on water? Boating accidents far exceed hunting accidents... madder than a hornet.. I wish the best for Pennsylvania. I hear they are fighting the same ban as VA
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

GSLAM95

Quote from: Kylongspur88 on February 02, 2012, 09:05:44 AM
I found two things intersting about that article. First the fact that an insurance company is opposed to more hunting. Insurance companies are usually the ones pushing for more liberal seasons. If they had their way in KY we would deer hunt year round with rifles. Fewer deer=fewer deer/car collisions thus less pay out. Another thing I found interesting was the statement that no one wanted Sunday hunting. Who exactly are these people? I think a more accurate statement should be the preachers don't want sunday hunting. The article didn't specifically say this but when a representative is stating that Sundays should be for rest and worship and not hunting you can get a pretty good idea of who's interests he's looking out for. I just don't get it. I go to church on Sunday and it's nice to get to spend afternoons with friends hunting. Sportsmen need to speak up at the ballot box. No Hunting, no vote.
If I lived in Virginia and knew that the above was fact I would still worship on Sunday but the preacher would know why the collection plate never slowed down as it was passed!
My Grandpa would not let us hunt the farm on Sunday and we respected his wishes and hunted elsewhere but I do not agree with it being a state law.

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

gobbler74

"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

CASH

Quote from: Neill_Prater on February 02, 2012, 09:47:51 AM
I'm not going to get into a religious discussion, that, in my opinion, is for individuals to decide for themselves anyway, but bans on Sunday hunting are simply archaic laws that don't have much relevance in today's world, in my opinion. Here in Missouri, we used to have so-called "blue laws", which meant you couldn't buy certain things on Sunday's. Some of them were just plain stupid, similar to other old laws you occasionally hear about being on the books from 100+ years ago. They were largely unenforced, but occasionally some religious zealot would throw a hissy about this or that. Finally, about 20 years ago, they were all repealed.

Banning Sunday hunting is simply another example of the few forcing their views on the many. I'm guessing that if an honest poll were taken in VA, the majority of the populace would either be for Sunday hunting, or not give a rip one way or the other. What I don't quite understand is the idea that church and government should remain separate, and, obviously, this is a religious issue. The law also assumes that everyone observes the sabbath on Sunday, which isn't true.

Agreed
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Quote from: gobbler74 on February 02, 2012, 03:29:33 PM
Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on February 02, 2012, 03:15:10 PM
I know a great way to protest.....
I will bring coffee.

You better do that, these protests will involve getting up pretty early...

TauntoHawk

one of my dads best hunting buddies is a Pastor in NY state where Sudnay hunting is legal.. he hunts almost every sunday before church, says it gives him some peaceful time outdoors to reflect on what his sermon will be about..

cant believe PA and VA dont have sunday hunting yet, they force religion out of everything except for when it benifits the librals and anti most of which dont even believe in God they just want a way to ban hunting
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>