OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

General stuff

Started by harvester, February 20, 2011, 08:39:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

harvester

We can use this thread for whatever, nothing specific.

Why is it when I am watching a huntin show the caller sounds like crap. I asked my wife, Do I sound like that when I callin.

She said NO and you don't call that much either. :icon_thumright:

unclerick

I think alot of them guys do all that calling for tv purposes, getting a tom to gobble alot, saleing of a call and all that, I heard one of the Primos guys say that one time during a show to.
Before all else fails,talk to Jesus

harvester

Quote from: unclerick on February 20, 2011, 09:07:38 AM
I think alot of them guys do all that calling for tv purposes, getting a tom to gobble alot, saleing of a call and all that, I heard one of the Primos guys say that one time during a show to.
They ain't no way I would buy one of those calls. I know he may be doing extra callin to get the bird to put on a show and all but come on, the callin is bad.

mfd1027

LOL.   Have to agree with you Dustin.   Some of the worst calling I've ever heard has been on TV shows.   Now don't get me wrong there's lot's of great TV caller's but those seem to be the turkey specific shows and the guys that got their start on the contest stage like Mark Scroggins, Michael Waddell, Walter Parrot, Matt Morret, Rick White, etc etc etc.       
Dan

harvester

The show was "The Fever" I think Mark Scroggins is on that show but he wasn't the one doing the calling. lol. I've heard Mark call before and this wasn't him. :TooFunny:

mfd1027

Now that really sucks!   You would think that the "Turkey" shows would be a little more careful about who they have doing the calling on their shows.     That's just plain stupid.    The worst shows are the bowhunting shows.   How many pass thru's do you ever see anymore.   Seems like every deer they shoot runs off with the arrow hanging out of it flopping like one of those things that a matador sticks into a bull to start them bleeding.     Makes me nuts.   
Dan

ElkTurkMan

I have pretty much lost my taste for most hunting shows in general.  It seems like there nothing more than a thiry minute advertisement.   I'll still watch some of them, but I pass on most now a days.  There was a time when either the outdoor channel or the sports and channell was all that was on in my house.  Dan I agree with you on a lot of the bowhunting shows.  More and more you see marginal to poor shots being made. 

mfd1027

Man, I'm gonna take some flack for this but part of the problem with hunting shows is , uh, how do I say this, uh, well, the need to be politically correct and add a certain gender to every hunting show out there.   I've guided nearly every big name in the industry and 42 -45 lb. draw wts. have no business shooting 250-300 lb. midwestern whitetails let alone hogs, elk, moose, etc etc.   :TrainWreck1:    Sorry,  been there done that and I've seen the outcome too many times.   

Dan

mossybird

Quote from: mfd1027 on February 20, 2011, 11:04:01 AM
Man, I'm gonna take some flack for this but part of the problem with hunting shows is , uh, how do I say this, uh, well, the need to be politically correct and add a certain gender to every hunting show out there.   I've guided nearly every big name in the industry and 42 -45 lb. draw wts. have no business shooting 250-300 lb. midwestern whitetails let alone hogs, elk, moose, etc etc.   :TrainWreck1:    Sorry,  been there done that and I've seen the outcome too many times.   

Me and you feel the same way about this!  :agreed: :agreed: :agreed:

keyser12ga

I can't watch them.  Granted some of these guys started out doing it the hard way, but watching them now is another story.  I would watch and deal with the in show commercials for their products if they were hunting public land/leases on diy hunts.  But some of the places they hunt are no different than fenced game farms imo.  I understand that some of the places they hunt are fair chase, but showing up and climbing into a stand where everyone has done the leg work for you and then making the shot is not hunting to me.  Show me the stand preparation, the scouting that your doing, the sign your following.  I understand that they have to edit alot for tv, and I have no doubt that alot of these guys would still be successful hunting public land, but that's what I want to see.  Showing success is what sells products though, not trial and error.

I purchased John Eberharts video series when I got in to bowhunting and they have probably been the most valuable video's I've ever watched. 

I came across the video "Allstars of Spring" at the local library and it had some of the famous names in turkey hunting back when they were younger and it was cool to watch.

harvester

Well I got good news, I just ordered a call off of "Wendell Rye" anodized aluminum. :z-guntootsmiley: :z-guntootsmiley: :z-guntootsmiley:

keyser12ga

Congrats, I have a lightsout slate and like it well.

harvester

Well I cleaned the ole 835, tried out my new hooter and bout some shells from "7shooter" 2 boxes for $20. federal flitecontrol #5s, 3.5". Wendell said he needed to turn me a striker and he will be shippin it out. Good Day.

nctrkyhntr

I use to watch primos all the time. Bought the new one every year. I have stopped buying them since Troy isnt there any more. To me he was one of the best callers they had. Then when the bought double bull blinds and started mainly hunting out of blinds. Sorry cant do it anymore. if they want to go back to there old ways and be the average everyday hunter again then and maybe just then will I start buying their videos again

unclerick

Last year had Outdoor Channel and the Sportsman Channel added to my cable just to watch turkey hunting shows, found out they really ain't that good, 5 minutes of hunting then 10 minutes of product sales,  I know these guys have sponsors who want them to sale their products but geewizz, enough is enough.

And I really don't have a problem with them haveing a bad day and not killing anything, thats what happens when we hunt.
Before all else fails,talk to Jesus