turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Too Quiet?

Started by StruttinGobbler3, February 01, 2012, 01:48:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StruttinGobbler3

Got a question for all you harrison hootin stick users. I just got my harrison hooter that i ordered from hooks. I love the realism and ease of use, but I'm a little concerned about the volume. Because of the little air pressure required to blow the call, its not quite as loud as i expected. Has anyone else noticed this, and does it affect its performance in the woods?
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

CASH

A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

StruttinGobbler3

I've tried that. I'm blowing as hard as the call will allow. If i blow too hard the call goes into a very high pitched squeal
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

slave601

I bought one myself and I didn't like the volume. I jus stuck to my palmers hoot tube
"thinnin the flock"

lightsoutcalls

This topic comes up each spring.  Don't try to blow harder to produce more volume.  You might end up with your eyeballs hanging out or a busted eardrum.   ;)

There is a reason James Harrison has won the owl hooting contest at Nationals repeatedly.  He has an ear for realism.  That said, part of the realism is the volume of the call.  If you want to check how the volume carries, put a buddy a hundred yards away or so in the woods in the same kind of conditions that you would be using the call - early morning or late evening, etc.  Blow the call and see if he can hear it. 

I had the privelege about 4 years ago of having Scott Hook guide my middle daughter on a youth hunt.  Before daylight he blew the Hoot'n Stick on a woodline near a field.  Within seconds we had an owl answer back from 70 or so yards away.  The owl flew up into a tree within 15 yards of us.  Scott and the owl carried on a lengthy conversation, which was quite entertaining.  It convinced me of the realism of the call.  The owl was close enough to us that we could see color differences in his plumage before daylight.  Given their night vision is far better than mine, he obviously knew we were there and wasn't intimidated with Scott  sweet talking him. 

There are definitely louder owl calls out there, but I don't think you will find a more realistic souding owl call anywhere.  I once had an owl call made by a respected callmaker (not on this forum, but will go unidentified here) that contained a metal duck call reed.  It would blow loud, but sounded like a duck with the flu.  I don't claim to be a competition owl caller, but try as I might, I could not make that call sound like an owl.  After hearin Scott run the Hoot'n Stick, I had to have one.  I can't run it with a command of "owlese" like Scott or James can, but I can certainly produce owl sounds that get owls and turkeys to respond.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

CSAW

I started using one two seasons ago and thought the same thing.  Until my brother was on the other end of property one morning and told me how loud the call sounded to him, and he was a good 500 yards away and over a hill.  I have more confidence in it now because of that and don't feel I need to pound on it anymore.  Good luck!

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Quote from: CASH on February 01, 2012, 02:05:20 AM
Blow harder

Epic response.

Thanks good laugh while sitting here waiting for an eye appointment.

stinkpickle

CASH

:toothy12: Thank you. I'll be here all week.

:TooFunny:
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

BOFF

turkey slayer

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on February 01, 2012, 10:07:16 AM
Quote from: CASH on February 01, 2012, 02:05:20 AM
Blow harder

Epic response.

Thanks good laugh while sitting here waiting for an eye appointment.
:agreed:  :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

catdaddy

I LOVE my Harrsion's Hottin Stick!!  Just like any other call, I had to practice with it but after a day or so I could make it "sweet" . The HHS sound is deceptive--it carries a lot farther that I imagined it would. I love mine---would not trade it for another.

redarrow

Woodsman4 god got me one as a gift and I still need to practice with it some more.

TRKYHTR

I to carry the Harrison Hooter. Although we don't have Barred Owls where I live, I occasionally hunt places that have Barred Owls. Best Hooter on the market.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck