OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Question about Hevi 6s?

Started by davisd9, January 29, 2012, 04:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davisd9

Hey guys.  I have a 24" barrel Mossberg 835 with a Star Dot .676 and a JH .690.  I have shot 3" Mag Blends a couple times and got ranges from 176 to 160.  I am happy with those numbers but wanted to try something else.  I have been shooting 3" shells for a while, used to shoot 3.5s, but CJ and I were patterning yesterday and he shot one of my old 3.5 shells to say he has shot one.  For some reason on the way home I started thinking that maybe I would like to try some 3.5s again, if for no other reason just to see what they would do. I also remembered what Dirt Road Ninja said about the Mag Blends and that he thought the 7s carried them, CJ got some great numbers with his gun out of the 3" Mag Blends.  I decided to give a try to Hevi 6s 3.5 2.25 oz a try.  Has anyone else tried these shells in a Mossberg 835 or just try them?  What is your opinion?  Thanks!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

trkehunr93

I have some 6's that I ran through a JH and my Pittman choke last year and they put around 200 in a 10 at 40.  Definitely will get the job done.  I went with the 7's last spring just because they had more hits than the 6's.  I have one 3.5" 7 left and about 7 3.5" 6's to hunt with this year.  I took a hen this fall with the 6's and she went down stone cold at 25 yards.  The shot actually shattered her beak, never had that happen that I can remember.  Give them a try and let us know. BTW the way I have a Mossberg 835 w/ the 24" barrel using a Pittman choke.

dirt road ninja

With the 3.5 # 6's my best was 226. With  better then 200 on most shots. That was thru a IC .675. The JH .690 was right behind it. I've yet to put any 6's thru the Stardot. My numbers with 6 shot were so good I was really thinking I'd have seen 300 with 7's.

C J Stahly

Im anxious to see what they do....

Other than rock ya back against the tree.