OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mossberg 835 with Kicks .670

Started by unworthy, January 27, 2012, 11:57:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

unworthy

I have a mossberg 835 ulti-mag with a kicks gt .670.  I wasn't really pleased with my patterns last year and I want to try some different loads before I buy a new choke.  Kick's website reccomends 3" #6s with my combination.  Has anyone had luck with a particular load (ie. remington nitro, winchester, etc...)? Also, if you have had luck with a different load (5's, 4's, etc...) please let me know.

Thanks!!

God Bless

SumToy

What kind of numbers you get.   I would go with the HV 13.  I see that the 7's put bigger numbers but the 6's have a better looking pattern. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

unworthy

My patterns last year were very erratic with my best patter being +/- 100 in 10" @ 30 yards with winchester 3.5" #4's.  I was trying to force the 3-1/2" shells, but I am coming to the realization that bigger loads do not always equal the best patter.

SumToy

I never try 4's but will if I find a few .   I dis shot a fed lead 5. It was 118 in a 10 at 40. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Stoney Creek

The Winchester Hi-Velocity 5 or 6 shot do really well for me in the exact gun and choke. They have been around seems like forever and lots of people swear by them. For lead IMO they are consistent and about as good as it gets. Got a buddy that shoots the 835 with the red hull Winchester with the 2 and 1/4 ounce of 6 shot and his gun does very well at 40 yards. Before Hevi, these were the best i've found..... Gotta love the Kicks choke, throws very even patterns in my guns... Hope this helps and good luck.....

dirt road ninja

.670 is very tight for an 835. I would look for a slightly more open choke.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: unworthy on January 27, 2012, 11:57:11 AM
I have a mossberg 835 ulti-mag with a kicks gt .670.  I wasn't really pleased with my patterns last year and I want to try some different loads before I buy a new choke.  Kick's website reccomends 3" #6s with my combination.  Has anyone had luck with a particular load (ie. remington nitro, winchester, etc...)? Also, if you have had luck with a different load (5's, 4's, etc...) please let me know.

Thanks!!

God Bless

You should be able to get some excellent patterns with that gun and choke. I shoot the 835, 935 and SSi-ONE with the overbored .775 barrel and all shoot excellent patterns.

The Kick's choke is also an excellent product, proven over many years, in many different guns and the .670 seems to work best in barrels like the ones you and I are shooting.

I would recommend 2 things to improve your patterns. The first is that you spend some time with your barrel and choke and "deep clean" them. If you're not familiar with that process, written especially for Mossberg overbored guns but helps all guns, you can click on the banner below and then go to the article "Cleaning a Shotgun Barrel". It really helps more than you might imagine.

The second thing is that since you are shooting lead shot through your Kick's choke, you try 3" Winchester HV (High Velocity) shells with 1.75 oz. of #6 shot, though your deep cleaned barrel.

If you're like most shooters, you'll see a dramatic improvement in the performance of your gun.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

mightyjoeyoung

The PG .670 is THE MAGIC CHOKE for many 835 owners.  I have used one in three different 835s and got very good results in all three...just not my own gun amazingly enough.  I now shoot a TG .670 SSX and get unreal patterns using 3.5" Magblends and I'll be trying out some straight 6's and 7's this spring too.   BTW, 90% choke on the 835 is about .698 which also makes the .690 Jellyhead a very good choice too.   :icon_thumright:
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

devin4484

I use that exact set up with win hv 3.5 no5's and get awesome dense even patterns at 30 and 40.  Never shot it at 50.  Guess every gun is different though.

TrackeySauresRex

Mine was a bit more open. In the past I've used a kicks 680 in my ol 835. With win.hv loads 2oz 3-½ 5's or 6's. also the old federals both shot great. I've changed my recipie since then. Now the J.H 690 with the M.B
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

BowBendr

I shot the 835/.670 kicks combo for years and had good results with the 3.5" Win. Hv #6's. Busted many a noggin' with that gun.

Stepped up to the .680 when I shot 5's, and it shoots awesome with the .680 and Hevi 7's.

joker

loads with hevi shot 6's or 7's should give you great patterns out of that gun/choke. Winchester xtended range 6's or hevi shot 6's, 7's, magblends.

bbcoach

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on January 27, 2012, 07:51:53 PM
The PG .670 is THE MAGIC CHOKE for many 835 owners.  I have used one in three different 835s and got very good results in all three...just not my own gun amazingly enough.  I now shoot a TG .670 SSX and get unreal patterns using 3.5" Magblends and I'll be trying out some straight 6's and 7's this spring too.   BTW, 90% choke on the 835 is about .698 which also makes the .690 Jellyhead a very good choice too.   :icon_thumright:

I second the PG .670 with 3 1/2 #7's.  My suggestion would be to try the Kicks choke with the #7's.